Precruise May 2024--Denali, other suggestions, lots of questions!

markeb

We are booked on Celebrity Summit southbound from Seward on May 31st to Vancouver. We're late in planning, probably because there's a part of you that doesn't really believe you're going to take the cruise, but we are!

Our plan had always been to fly in, probably to Anchorage, and spend a few days in Denali before heading to Seward for the cruise. Looking at some threads in this forum, I see there are issues with the road into Denali, so I'd really love input on whether that's still the best option or where else should we look? Both my wife and I have separately been to Alaska. She did a roundtrip HAL cruise years ago from Seattle and I spent about a week in and around Anchorage at Elmendorf years ago. So we've seen what, less than 1% of Alaska?

Looking for suggestions all around. Go to Denali? Go somewhere else? Where to stay? Rent a car or take one of the trains? Getting from Denali (or elsewhere?) to Seward? We're still somewhat open on how long we'll be in Alaska pre-cruise. We do plan on spending at least a couple of days post cruise in Vancouver, and it looks like Air Canada has a direct flight to Dulles! But the Alaska piece is pretty unclear and in its infancy. We're both 61, reasonably active, but we both have some health issues, so a long backcountry hike isn't a consideration...

Help! 

I’d skip Denali with the road closure.  Check out MICA guides, Manatuska Glacier trek.  It was the best excuse did in two Alaska trips.  We rented a car and stayed at Majeatic Lodge in Sutton I believe.  

It’s too early for Denali.  Spend your pre cruise time in Seward, Alyeska/Girdwood, Turnagain Arm area.  There’s plenty to do.  Kenai Fjords, Exit Glacier, Sealife Center, Wildlife Conservation Center, etc,  

• Like 1

One of the great things about Cruise Critic is consensus...  😁

5 hours ago, wolfie11 said:

I’d still go to Denali.  It’s amazing in May with snow still around on the hills.  Animals are out and active and the moose are giving birth to their calves. 

If we go to Denali, any recommendations on where to stay? We'd probably do one overnight in Anchorage on arrival, and then drive? train? to Denali. Obviously you have more options with a car. We're somewhat open ended on time before the cruise. I'm well aware we'd see a fraction of the park regardless of how long we're there. Is there a general time recommendation we should consider? There's a lot of travel involved regardless.

We'd plan to get to Seward the day before the cruise so that would bring the same choices into play. It sounds like the train from Anchorage to Seward is pretty enjoyable. 

16 hours ago, IBin2crusin said:

I’d skip Denali with the road closure.  Check out MICA guides, Manatuska Glacier trek.  It was the best excuse did in two Alaska trips.  We rented a car and stayed at Majeatic Lodge in Sutton I believe.  

16 hours ago, oaktreerb said:

It’s too early for Denali.  Spend your pre cruise time in Seward, Alyeska/Girdwood, Turnagain Arm area.  There’s plenty to do.  Kenai Fjords, Exit Glacier, Sealife Center, Wildlife Conservation Center, etc,  

Thanks! We'll look at those as options.

2 hours ago, markeb said:

One of the great things about Cruise Critic is consensus...  😁

If we go to Denali, any recommendations on where to stay? We'd probably do one overnight in Anchorage on arrival, and then drive? train? to Denali. Obviously you have more options with a car. We're somewhat open ended on time before the cruise. I'm well aware we'd see a fraction of the park regardless of how long we're there. Is there a general time recommendation we should consider? There's a lot of travel involved regardless.

We'd plan to get to Seward the day before the cruise so that would bring the same choices into play. It sounds like the train from Anchorage to Seward is pretty enjoyable. 

Thanks! We'll look at those as options.

I’d rent a car.  There are several hotels in Healy, about 10 miles north of the park.  I would stay two days if possible and book the shuttle bus both days.  I think it’s about $40.  It’s still spring in Denali in May so animals are moving around.  Look for bears on the flats at the Tek River foraging for roots and sedges.  There’s usually lots of pregnant moose hanging around the park headquarters area.  Dall sheep are still fairly low as well. I’ve been to Denali probably 50+ times and it’s always special.  I’ve also been to all the other places mentioned and they’re all fine, but for me, Denali is really what Alaska is all about.

• Like 1

Go to the National Park website.  nps.gov select Denali.  You will find road conditions and opening dates for the camper busses that go out into the park past the ranger station.  I’ve only stayed at the McKinley Chalets which has bus transportation to the park visitor center if you decide to take the train.  You will have more options if you rent a car.

Edited by oaktreerb

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

Go to the National Park website.  nps.gov select Denali.  You will find road conditions and opening dates for the camper busses that go out into the park past the ranger station.  I’ve only stayed at the McKinley Chalets which has bus transportation to the park visitor center if you decide to take the train.  You will have more options if you rent a car.

You want the shuttle bus not the camper bus.

• Like 1

Thanks. Back to searching the web. 

We were actually thinking 3 days at the park, not including travel. Then to Seward and off to Vancouver on the ship, plus or minus a stop in Anchorage. A lot to figure out!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kat915 said:

What can you do in denali in may before the shuttle busses start running?

You can drive your own vehicle into the park as far as Teklanika River (32 miles).

• Thanks 1

Here's a decent list of lodging in the Denali area. If you have a rental car (which would be my choice), Healy has lots of options and is just 10 miles north of the entrance.   https://cca.denalichamber.com/Accommodations-__9391_category.aspx

The park road is open to mile 43. Still plenty to see. The transit bus starts running May 20th.   https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

Edited by AKStafford

2 hours ago, AKStafford said:

Here's a decent list of lodging in the Denali area. If you have a rental car (which would be my choice), Healy has lots of options and is just 10 miles north of the entrance.   https://cca.denalichamber.com/Accommodations-__9391_category.aspx

The park road is open to mile 43. Still plenty to see. The transit bus starts running May 20th.   https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

Any specific recommendations for hotels? Looks like a lot of interesting places are booked for when we want to be there. Probably not surprising. 

Thanks again. We booked some places to stay as some are getting booked.

Denali Bluffs Hotel--Not the cheapest, but looks very nice

Hotel Edgewater in Seward--Likewise. Looks nice, good reviews, and the price was acceptable. Plus they run a shuttle to the train station and the cruise terminal

Planning on the train from Anchorage to Seward. Just waiting until tomorrow to determine if my wife (retired military family member) gets the military discount or only me. 

Fly into Anchorage and spend the night. Drive back to Anchorage, spend the night, then take the train down to Seward.

We'll figure out details for Denali and Seward later (but relatively soon). Two nights in Seward to do the domed train down (not available the day before). And the hotel says it has laundry!

Back to research and questions. I suspect this would be a lot simpler if we were either a) only going to Denali and a land based trip, or b) only doing a cruise. And we've cruised out of Europe doing both without this kind of angst!

20 hours ago, markeb said:

Thanks again. We booked some places to stay as some are getting booked.

Denali Bluffs Hotel--Not the cheapest, but looks very nice

Hotel Edgewater in Seward--Likewise. Looks nice, good reviews, and the price was acceptable. Plus they run a shuttle to the train station and the cruise terminal

Planning on the train from Anchorage to Seward. Just waiting until tomorrow to determine if my wife (retired military family member) gets the military discount or only me. 

Fly into Anchorage and spend the night. Drive back to Anchorage, spend the night, then take the train down to Seward.

We'll figure out details for Denali and Seward later (but relatively soon). Two nights in Seward to do the domed train down (not available the day before). And the hotel says it has laundry!

Back to research and questions. I suspect this would be a lot simpler if we were either a) only going to Denali and a land based trip, or b) only doing a cruise. And we've cruised out of Europe doing both without this kind of angst!

Life has been crazy busy the last few days so I am late to this discussion, but just a few random comments.

We haven't and won't go down to Denali until the Pretty Rocks road issue is solved.  My favorite parts of the DNP are past Pretty Rocks.  Areas such as the Polychrome Overlook, Toklat River rest stop, Stony Hill overlook  and Eielson Visitor's Center.  Just love those wide vistas at Polychrome, frequently see bears at Toklat and enjoy the programs at Eielson Visitor's Center which are very different than the visitor center near the park entrance.

But if you go to Denali and have a rental car another possible place to stay is the Tonglen Lake Lodge.

Also in Seward, since apparently your wife is a retired military family member, check if you are eligible to stay at the Seward Military Resort.

Once we have stayed at the Edgewater in Seward.  I prefer the Harbor 360 as the Edgewater room that we were in seemed overly crowded with furniture.  But it does indeed have a guest laundry (or did when we were there pre-pandemic).  Guest parking was an issue but if you don't have a rental vehicle that will not be a consideration.

3 hours ago, Northern Aurora said:

Life has been crazy busy the last few days so I am late to this discussion, but just a few random comments.

We haven't and won't go down to Denali until the Pretty Rocks road issue is solved.  My favorite parts of the DNP are past Pretty Rocks.  Areas such as the Polychrome Overlook, Toklat River rest stop, Stony Hill overlook  and Eielson Visitor's Center.  Just love those wide vistas at Polychrome, frequently see bears at Toklat and enjoy the programs at Eielson Visitor's Center which are very different than the visitor center near the park entrance.

But if you go to Denali and have a rental car another possible place to stay is the Tonglen Lake Lodge.

Also in Seward, since apparently your wife is a retired military family member, check if you are eligible to stay at the Seward Military Resort.

Once we have stayed at the Edgewater in Seward.  I prefer the Harbor 360 as the Edgewater room that we were in seemed overly crowded with furniture.  But it does indeed have a guest laundry (or did when we were there pre-pandemic).  Guest parking was an issue but if you don't have a rental vehicle that will not be a consideration.

THANKS!

We did look at the Tonglen Lake Lodge, but no availability when we were there. Denali Bluffs and Tonglen were the two properties that most interested us.

I did look at the Seward Military Resort, but I'm a retired O5, so it's actually more expensive than the Edgewater (or essentially the same price). Rank based pricing. Go figure. So Edgewater looked most interesting. Harbor 360 is sold out. We're spending two nights in Seward to get the Gold Service train down. Like I said, there's a part of us that didn't really believe we were doing this...