One day away from Barcelona: A day visit to ZARAGOZA

Hello @marazul

As far as I know, there are no guided tours of the Paraninfo (University main hall). I was on one many years ago but it was the exception.

The building is open to the public during those hours. That is, it is just another university building that is open to anyone who comes. At reception they already know that there are a high number of people who are tourists. There are no problems.
The pity is that the main hall is very difficult to visit (and also entering through the main door is almost impossible. It will open tomorrow for the inauguration of the school year and it may not open again until 2025). And the "aula magna" is not visitable as such. I have been to... a presentation of a university book...

But despite everything it is worth it.
Oh, and you can book to eat at the restaurant from Monday to Saturday at noon. It is the old cafeteria that is run by a company with a service that is worth it (average price).
You can also go into the library. They have brought the oldest books from the university there.

Please note that it serves as the main hall, it is not a technical school nor a faculty. Only administrative and representative services.
Historically it was the Faculty of Sciences and Medicine of Zaragoza. The first curiosity is in the statues at the door where there are four figures of doctors and scientists who were born in towns not far from Zaragoza. They were the most relevant when that building was built and they stayed there.
The next question is why S. Ramon y Cajal is not there (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santiago_Ramón_y_Cajal ) and the answer is that the building was already built when he was a doctor (he was a student and then a professor in that same building).
Obviously such a brilliant student of that faculty has his own statue but it is on the interior staircase.

It is worth visiting but think that it will be something quick

We have booked a trip to Zaragoga based on your advice. Arriving from Madrid noon 11 November & leaving 13 Nov 830am- my birthday. Staying at the hotel where you gave me your advice in the central area.

I'm not sure how to PM you so please tell me how.

If possible we would love to meet up for a tapas or two if you have time.

Thanks so much for giving us all your information. We are looking forward to visiting.

• 2 weeks later...

Alserrod,  will you be able to meet us in Zaragoza when we arrive 11 November for 2 nights? Looking forward to possibly meeting you to thank you for all your helpful comments on CC. Looking forward to visiting your beautiful city.

7 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

Alserrod,  will you be able to meet us in Zaragoza when we arrive 11 November for 2 nights? Looking forward to possibly meeting you to thank you for all your helpful comments on CC. Looking forward to visiting your beautiful city.

Hello!!!!

I hadn't read your previous message.

I send you a DM through this web

7 hours ago, catspaw1 said:

It seems you have blocked the option to send DM

my email is

alserrod  (@) gmail.com