Traveling with teens and looking at trying NCL

We are looking for a fall cruise with 2 teens (15 &17). We have previously sailed on Liberty of the Seas with Royal but are open to trying something different. I am trying to understand the included drink package but since they are under 21 what would they get? The drink package on Royal let them get mocktails, plus all the sodas juice, and bottled waters. Also what ships would you recommend? Waterslides are a must have and a fun itinerary. We have already done Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Is the atmosphere on Norwegian similar to Royal? We are kind of a laid back group that keeps to themselves. I have yet to get them to go to the kids or teen clubs. They mostly ditch the parents and hangout together now. We also will travel in 2 balconies but could do a 2 bedroom suite if the price and amenities matched up but teens must have own bedroom and bathroom because how dare we all cram into one room with their parents now.

Go with the Breakaway and Away+ ships.  Breakaway, Getaway and Escape have waterslides and ropes courses.  Joy, Bliss and Encore have waterslides and go karts.  

• Like 2

Adding to this. 

NCL has a 2 Bedroom villa but it’s in the Haven so you will pay a premium.  You will get access to the private restaurant, lounge and pool deck.  You also get a butler and concierge.  If the pricing works for you, it’s the way to go.

If you go with two cabins and you select the FAS drink package, they will get the soda package.   It really is only soda and juices though.  Since you can order two drinks at a time, I have never had an issue with asking for a mock tail with my drink.  

For atmosphere, it’s a little more lively than Royal but not as crazy as Carnival.  If you want to be left alone, no one will bother you.  If you want to socialize, you will easily meet plenty of people during the cruise.  NCL specializes in solo cruising and I have found that the solo meet up groups really drive the party.  

20 hours ago, scubaslayer said:

teens must have own bedroom and bathroom because how dare we all cram into one room with their parents now.

NCL rules prohibit teens traveling together in their own room, unless accompanied by another guest 21 or over, or unless they are married. so, it looks like you’ll be needing a two bedroom suite.

35 minutes ago, UKstages said:

NCL rules prohibit teens traveling together in their own room, unless accompanied by another guest 21 or over, or unless they are married. so, it looks like you’ll be needing a two bedroom suite.

Place a parent in each room for booking.  Once on board, use rooms how you want to.

Recommend adjacent rooms.  Some have interior connecting doors, you need to look at the little icons on the rooms on the deck plans.  Note NCL no longer opens the balcony divider between rooms when requested.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, scubaslayer said:

We are looking for a fall cruise with 2 teens (15 &17). We have previously sailed on Liberty of the Seas with Royal but are open to trying something different. I am trying to understand the included drink package but since they are under 21 what would they get? The drink package on Royal let them get mocktails, plus all the sodas juice, and bottled waters. Also what ships would you recommend? Waterslides are a must have and a fun itinerary. We have already done Jamaica, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel. Is the atmosphere on Norwegian similar to Royal? We are kind of a laid back group that keeps to themselves. I have yet to get them to go to the kids or teen clubs. They mostly ditch the parents and hangout together now. We also will travel in 2 balconies but could do a 2 bedroom suite if the price and amenities matched up but teens must have own bedroom and bathroom because how dare we all cram into one room with their parents now.

Encore or Escape are great for kids. If kids are in the same stateroom, they would not get the drink package. You can buy a soda package. Two adults would get the drink package. If in separate rooms, book it without the Free at Sea promotion with the Drink Package. Better off buying a soda package on your own, and then pay for any subsequent mocktails. .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UKstages said:

No they won’t, they’ll put an adult in each cabin on paper, after boarding go to guest services and they will gladly give you extra keys. The adults will get FAS, the kids will get soda packages. We’ve sailed with 5 underaged kids several times.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, dshefter said:

Encore or Escape are great for kids. If kids are in the same stateroom, they would not get the drink package. You can buy a soda package. Two adults would get the drink package. If in separate rooms, book it without the Free at Sea promotion with the Drink Package. Better off buying a soda package on your own, and then pay for any subsequent mocktails. .

With separate cabins the adult in each cabin gets the FAS, the teens will get the soda package, only the gratuities need to be paid.

Underage kids get a soda package on NCL either as part of free at sea or if bought and it is just that, soda (including club soda). No mocktails, no juices, no specialty (non alcoholic) drinks like lattes, no milkshakes, no mineral water. Just soda (coke products on NCL). 

We have sailed almost exclusively on NCL out of the big cruiselines but just recently sailed with RCI Symphony of the Seas. I have a hard time convincing my teens to get excited about NCL after that experience…unfortunately. Yes there are slides at NCL but no shows like the multiple production shows on RCI. As mentioned the drink package for kids is very limited on NCL. They just fell in love with RCI. 

Edited by European_CruiseGirl

26 minutes ago, European_CruiseGirl said:

Underage kids get a soda package on NCL either as part of free at sea or if bought and it is just that, soda (including club soda). No mocktails, no juices, no specialty (non alcoholic) drinks like lattes, no milkshakes, no mineral water. Just soda (coke products on NCL). 

We have sailed almost exclusively on NCL out of the big cruiselines but just recently sailed with RCI Symphony of the Seas. I have a hard time convincing my teens to get excited about NCL after that experience…unfortunately. Yes there are slides at NCL but no shows like the multiple production shows on RCI. As mentioned the drink package for kids is very limited on NCL. They just fell in love with RCI. 

They do not get a soda package if they are not the second guest in the stateroom, you will have to pay for it if they are 3rd or 4th.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, RedwingHockeyFan said:

They do not get a soda package if they are not the second guest in the stateroom, you will have to pay for it if they are 3rd or 4th.

They will both be guest #2 because that’s how NCL books minors, they need someone 21+ to be booked with them. The OP said they are booking 2 cabins for the 4 of them.

Edited by mjkacmom

Yes we would be booking 2 rooms that are adjacent. Of course the booking would have a parent in each room on paper. This part is pretty standard for all cruise lines. Thank you for those that answered the drink question and had ship recommendations. Now I just need to make decisions and nail down when I can get time off.