what are the UPxxx cabins

mleng

We were on Nieuw Amsterdam last week.  Our cabin was 4079.  A few doors down, there were 3 cabins named UP001, UP002...  They don't show up on the deck plan, but they look like regular cabins.  They even have the normal mailboxes by the door and once I saw the daily program in the mailbox.  I was on Eurodam last year and I remembered they had cabins like that too.  Anybody know what they are?

3 hours ago, Petronillus said:

I am so disappointed that they aren't reserved for the Yoopers of Northern Michigan. (UP = upper peninsula.)

I was raised in the lower SW corner of the Mitten, I have visited the UP several times - nice area. Had some 2nd cousins who were Yoopers.

5 hours ago, Moriah said:

Those are crew cabins.  Performers, etc.

They must be important to get a window (even if the view is only of a lifeboat). 😉

11 minutes ago, Bill B said:

They must be important to get a window (even if the view is only of a lifeboat). 😉

We have seen the entertainers coming and going from those rooms (like the singers and dancers). I’m pretty sure there are two assigned to each room.  

1 hour ago, kapitch said:

Those that live in the Upper Peninsula are known as Yoopers, but those of us that live below the bridge (Mackinac) are known as Trolls.  😀

There was no bridge while I was growing up - so NO bridge to be a troll under. It was still car ferries in those days. lol

Edited by Happily@Sea

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

We have seen the entertainers coming and going from those rooms (like the singers and dancers). I’m pretty sure there are two assigned to each room.  

Back in the old days, when HAL used to have the Lincoln Center Stage, in a Q&A session the LCS musicians said that per the contract between HAL and Lincoln Center it was specified that each musician gets his/her own solo cabin. At that time the cellist and the pianist were married to each other, and as a result the cello got a cabin all to itself.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 1/17/2024 at 8:41 PM, oaktreerb said:

Depends on the performer.  A comedian, for example, will often get a private room.  And it will be a UP cabin (ocean view)  They can also bring along a family member or friend for port fees only. 

• Like 1