Viking Rhine Veranda Stateroom A Questions

summerclouds

One of the reasons we like Viking Ocean and River, is that although you can purchase higher decks at a higher price (for what reason I don't understand) or larger cabins, and there is no separation in the sense that if you pay for this you get to go to this exclusive restaurant.  On Viking River, everyone is the same when it comes to the lounge or the dining room.  On Viking Ocean everyone has the same opportunity (especially once on board) to book the specialty restaurants.  Everyone has the same access to High Tea, to the lounges, etc.

And before anyone corrects me on the same access to specialty dining, we have never booked a cabin above the bottom two categories, and we have never booked a restaurant reservation prior to boarding, and we have never had an issue getting reservations when and where we want them.  This is why I say that everyone has the same opportunity.

• Like 1

On my river cruises the only thing more money got you was a higher and perhaps larger room.  But this reminds me of what they are doing on ocean cruises more often.  We were on Celebrity last winter, and the suite passengers got their own dining room and sunning area, and Aqua class also got their own dining room.  We had a regular balcony room, and ate in the regular dining room.  Our cruise was awesome.  I hope the suite and Aqua Class passengers enjoyed their trip too.  My take on this is that the higher paying customers are subsidizing the rest of us--so I say to them:  Thank you! 

18 hours ago, JordanF said:

On my river cruises the only thing more money got you was a higher and perhaps larger room.  But this reminds me of what they are doing on ocean cruises more often.  We were on Celebrity last winter, and the suite passengers got their own dining room and sunning area, and Aqua class also got their own dining room.  We had a regular balcony room, and ate in the regular dining room.  Our cruise was awesome.  I hope the suite and Aqua Class passengers enjoyed their trip too.  My take on this is that the higher paying customers are subsidizing the rest of us--so I say to them:  Thank you! 

All this just speaks to the fact that people (including myself) will pay for what they perceive to be better, or more exclusive, or provide services that they want or expect.  

Cruise lines - like hotels with Concierge Floors/Lounges, and airlines with exclusive lounges and cabins - are creating experiences and options to charge more for.

Because we have almost exclusively sailed Viking River and Ocean to date, we get everything we want and need included in the lowest category cabin, so we don't upgrade.  We are only in our cabin to sleep, shower, and change, so this lowest category cabin is all we need.  We also have never seen the need for advance restaurant or excursion bookings which the higher priced (same size) cabins pay for.  We have always gotten every reservation we have wanted.

Now, if we were to sail on a larger more mass market line, we might investigate Suite Class or Aqua Class for a more exclusive experience - we might.  We would weigh options.

On our more recent Viking River Cruise, we booked 2 weeks before sailing and only had deck 3 available, so we took it, but this gave us nothing more than deck 2 or deck 1 guests.  I would never pay for this if deck 2 were available.