The Retreat - Ventura - worth it?

Jeaannie55

Hi all, my two (adult) daughters and myself are on The Ventura at Easter, from Southampton down to Portugal and then across to France. Thinking of booking a treat for us all and come across The Retreat package, has anyone on this wonderful board any experience of this?  
I realise the weather could be inclement at the beginning of April, so any indoor areas to relax? Are we able to get wine/cocktails there? Or healthy stuff only? 
would appreciate any help in helping me decide. TIA

I would say probably not unless you get very lucky with the weather. There are some sheltered spots but nothing inside. Drinks wise there are only water and juices but the staff up there will get you drinks from the bar (at your expense!). It is quite open so even if it’s sunny if there is any wind it can rip through. Maybe wait until on board and check it out?

My husband and I booked the Retreat on our 2 weeks Canaries cruise in Ventura last August and both agreed that it ‘made’ our trip. The outside decks were very busy but there were only a dozen or so people in the Retreat. There’s both sheltered and unsheltered areas. Blankets are available for if it’s chilly. 

Food wise we didn’t have breakfast there but often had lunch there, if I remember rightly it was a salad every day. Then they offer a light afternoon tea later.

Tea, coffee & chilled water are always available and if you want any other drinks the waiters take your cruise card and go to the bars to get what you want .

Bear in mind though we went in August and had warm/hot weather. We didn’t use the retreat on our 1 wet day. 

• Like 1