Can I pay with my credit card when I buy the SUBE card in Buenos Aires? Do most place in Argentina & Chile accept U.S. Cash?

gam888

We are staying in Buenos Aires for a few days before our cruise starts in February. We would need to buy a SUBE card in Buenos Aires. Would we be able to pay for it with our credit card on their machine? We are not planning to purchase any Argentinean currency before we arrive there. What is the best venue to exchange currency once we get there? We will also be in Chile during our cruise. Would most places accept U.S. cash as well? I have read some posts on Cruise Critics that they do. Just want to know if I should bring some Chilean currency there or just wait till I get there. We don't expect to spend a lot of money in Argentina or Chile, most of the excursions are already paid for.  We just need a small amount of money for food here and there. Thank you in advance.

For Argentina, See my post on Don't Use Argentina Currency in this forum.

For Chile, we have been here for a week. I'm in Santiago now. I've used a credit card for everything here, except a couple of purchases from street vendors. Like Argentina, there doesn't seem to be any minimum purchase required. Also, there doesn't seem to be any stigma using credit cards. Everyone seems happy to take them.

4 minutes ago, PapaGoose said:

Have you used US cash for any purchases?

I made 1 purchase in Argentina for admission to a wildlife preserve that didn't take cards. I gave them a $20 and got Argentina notes as change.

Other than that, I've  used USD for tips, not purchases. Everyone in Argentina seems to take and want US currency. They post the US exchange rates on the menus at a better than official rate, but not as good as what my credit card provides.

Have not used USD in Chile.

47 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

I made 1 purchase in Argentina for admission to a wildlife preserve that didn't take cards. I gave them a $20 and got Argentina notes as change.

Other than that, I've  used USD for tips, not purchases. Everyone in Argentina seems to take and want US currency. They post the US exchange rates on the menus at a better than official rate, but not as good as what my credit card provides.

Have not used USD in Chile.

Good to know. We plan on taking lots of small bills so we have close to exact payments for small purchases. Enjoy your time there!

• Like 1