Black And White Ball On The Noordam

dsawyer

The Black and White Ball on the inaugural voyage of The Noordam sounded really nice. Does anyone know if the next 2 voyages had one? Is it held at a time that all diners can attend?

I am hoping for one on our cruise coming on on The Noordam on Saturday. Thanks.

I don't know if the Black and White Ball will be held on the Noordam's next two cruises. I think that it depends on the length of the cruise. For example, I don't believe that it's held during a 7-day or 10-day cruise. Of course, I could be wrong. Oh there's a first!:D

Anyway, I have to agree with Brian in that the Ball is late in the evening, after the late show in The Vista (or Queen's) Lounge.

If you wish to dance into the wee hours then the Ball is a lot of fun.

Good luck, I hope that there is a Black & White Ball on your next cruise.

Valerie:)

I don't know if the Black and White Ball will be held on the Noordam's next two cruises. I think that it depends on the length of the cruise. For example, I don't believe that it's held during a 7-day or 10-day cruise. Of course, I could be wrong. Oh there's a first!:D

Anyway, I have to agree with Brian in that the Ball is late in the evening, after the late show in The Vista (or Queen's) Lounge.

If you wish to dance into the wee hours then the Ball is a lot of fun.

Good luck, I hope that there is a Black & White Ball on your next cruise.

Noordam isnt doing any 7 day itineraries and we had the B&W during our inaugural which was a 10 day itinerary, so its pretty safe to say that it will probably be a standard for all Noordam sailings in the near future...

Thanks again for your info. I hope you are right and we will have one. Do they tell you at the beginning of the cruise if they have one scheduled or do we wait for it to show up on the daily schedule.

Thanks for the info. I suppose we will be having one too.

You may as well come along with us on our sailing on Saturday. I know you book a cruise at the drop of a hat You can give The Noordam a second chance - everything deserves a second chance. :D There are REALLY some good bargains on our sailing.

We will be on the April 5th cruise and I was wondering if anyone knew what nights are the formal nights. Trying to plan ahead a bit with the extent of the excursions each day, have 3 kids to get formal and didn't want to short us on time with the early dining. Is the black and white ball on a formal night? Where is it held and was it really fun? Kids allowed?

Formal nights are the Second, Fifth and Second-to-last nights.

B&W is on the last formal night. I'm sure that well-behaved and appropriately dressed (B&W formalwear) teens would be welcome to attend and dance together or with their parents, but they shouldn't dance w/ officers to get prizes, and it's a rather late for younger children...

The B&W ball is uncommon for sailings of less than 12-14 days, this is the first time I've seen it on a 10-day... in our experience, it has more to do with whether the HM and Captain wish to host one on every voyage.

I thought I had heard somewhere that HM Stan Kuppens would be leaving the Noordam shortly, so I think it may depend on his replacement and whether or not HAL has stipulated the event should occur for the inaugural season.

Formal nights are the Second, Fifth and Second-to-last nights.

B&W is on the last formal night. I'm sure that well-behaved and appropriately dressed (B&W formalwear) teens would be welcome to attend and dance together or with their parents, but they shouldn't dance w/ officers to get prizes, and it's a rather late for younger children...

So if I have figured correctly, the formal nights for the 04/05/06 sailing would be Thurs. (the 6th), Sunday, (the 9th), and Thurs.(the 13th). The B&W would be held late on Thursday, the 13th. Am I correct?

Would anyone know if they will be having a Black & White Ball on the Noordam's "Mediterannean Enchantment" cruise on June 10th?

I think it will all depend on who the Captain, Hotel Manager and other staff on board at that time... like I said in my earlier post, it is not a common event for a 10-day cruise. We are on the Noordam again 7/30, a round trip from Rome Mediterranean cruise and I don't anticipate having one then, but you never know.

While it's a really nice party hosted by the officers, it is a lot of work for them, the crew and staff. In my experience, it has always been held on a formal night and there is no strict "black/white" dress criteria - many people were quite colorful, and I think any nice formal outfit will do.

It will be published in the daily program if they do choose to hold one.

Thanks for the reply, EKerr19. . .does your Med curise in Sept. go to Palermo? If so, do you have any great ideas for excursions? Nothing sounds outrageously interesting. Would love to hear from someone who has been there.

I was there last spring and didn't take any of the ship excursions.

The city is surprisingly lovely and very walkable. The ships dock right near the center of town; there are huge shopping avenues, small streets to wander, lovely leafy squares with cafes, and if you're lucky enough to be there on a weekend, one of the weirdest open markets I have ever seen.

There are two "flea markets," one is the antiques market near the cathedral but it's the other one that's the most fun. Mazes and mazes and mazes of small streets, pedestrian only, filled with fish and underwear, spices and shoes, meat, fruit, vegetables, handbags and linens... It's possible that this market is also held on weekdays, I'm not sure, but it was great fun, and a real window into ordinary Sicilian life (as opposed to the tourist view we usually get).

I'm going to be on the other side of Sicily in May, no idea what that's like, but I really, really enjoyed Palermo.

Jana

The Black & White Ball, as mentioned before, is an evening when the Officers actually don their fancy duds and mingle with the passengers. It really is a lot of fun since you may get to dance with the Captain, Ship's Doctor, Hotel Manager, etc. - or if you are really lucky then one of those incredibly cute (and oh so young) ship's Officers.

I have been on many HAL cruises and on only a few did we have a Black & White Ball so I'm fairly sure that it is up to the Captain and/or Hotel Manager to decide on whether or not to hold one.

Brian (bepsf) says that the Ball on the Noordam was held in the Crow's Nest. On the couple that I have attended it was usually held in the Queen's Lounge, but then from what I have heard from my daughter it does continue on in the Crow's Nest until the wee hours (by which time I'm usually sound asleep:D ).

I really only have one complaint about the Black & White Ball in that this past New Year's Eve, on the Amsterdam, they decided to hold the B & W Ball. Okay, it was fun but at the same time it was kind of depressing to see everyone in black and white finery on New Year's Eve. I can see where black would come in (the death of the old year), and white (the birth of the New Year) but I would love to have seen someone wearing bright red in defiance. Had I had such an item in my wardrobe I would have been the one wearing bright red but instead there I was in black and white along with everyone else. I consoled myself with a couple of glasses of free champagne and had a great time wishing everyone a Happy New Year. Then, of course, the young-uns moved the party to The Crow's Nest and I, like an idiot, went to bed. My daughter though had a great time dancing the night away in the Crow's Nest.:D

I hope that you will have a Black & White Ball on your cruise and, as ekerr19 says, don't sweat the black and white, just wear something that's formal. You will have a great time.

Have a wonderful cruise and if you do have a Black and White Ball then go and have a ton of fun.

Thanks for the reply, EKerr19. . .does your Med curise in Sept. go to Palermo? If so, do you have any great ideas for excursions? Nothing sounds outrageously interesting. Would love to hear from someone who has been there.

rockinjo - We have not booked anything yet. We are not big fans of organized excursions unless there is something we have a huge desire to see - we've been on many great excursions, but I tend (these days) to find them on my own, outside HAL. When we were newer to cruising, DH did not want to take a chance and be "left behind", but after a few boring bus tours, he was ready to take the chance, lol!

I'm think Jana has the right idea with Palermo, but I haven't researched it thoroughly enough yet... it will be our kids first trip to Europe and my sister and her son will be coming with us, so we will be trying to see as much as we can - if you come across anything, please let me know, I'd be interested. :)

Palermo also has some great stores for Italian tiles and platters and planters and wall plaques. On the right side of the street, the one that goes straight up from the gates to the terminal, about three blocks up is a shop that sells seconds. They are really reasonably priced.

If you keep going straight up that same street you'll come to a big square facing a main thoroughfare. There's lots of shopping around there, and some nice cafes where you can stop for an espresso or gelato or lunch. Outside.

Palermo is generally inexpensive compared to other parts of Italy, too...

I just got a map from the booth at the pier and went from there. It's surprising how pretty the city is.

Jana

Archived