Embark/Debarkation Question From a First-Timer

We’re doing our first Regent cruise next month, the Western Caribbean cruise out of Miami on February 27.  Our flight arrives in Miami around 8:30; by the time we retrieve our luggage and are transported to the ship it’ll probably be closer to 10 am.  Will we be permitted to board the ship and wait patiently somewhere until our rooms are ready?

Also, our flight home doesn’t leave until 6:30 pm.  I know that some cruise lines reserve a suite or room at a hotel near the airport for folks like us with late flights.  Does Regent do this?  Or do I need to do some research on options at Miami airport?

I don’t know if this makes any difference, but our flights were booked through Regent.  

Thanks in advance for any information!

Allyn

Embarkation usually starts at 1130.  Last month we were there a little early and one of the Regent busses rolled up.  All passengers stayed on the bus until line started moving so they didn't have to stand outside.  You should be in a similar situation.

As for debarkation, Regent sometimes runs tours (e.g., Everglades airboat) and then drop off at airport; your fellow Brits should be able to give their past experiences.

marc

5 hours ago, Older Sister said:

Our flight arrives in Miami around 8:30; by the time we retrieve our luggage and are transported to the ship it’ll probably be closer to 10 am.

Dangerous move to book your arrival flight on the day of the embarkation. A flight cancelation or even a delay could mean you miss your whole cruise. Most experienced cruisers always arrive the day before embarkation and stay a night (or two if traveling internationally) in a nearby hotel.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, mrlevin said:

As for debarkation, Regent sometimes runs tours (e.g., Everglades airboat) and then drop off at airport; your fellow Brits should be able to give their past experiences.

marc

If I may add, generally the option for transport to the airport including some form of an excursion is only available after you are onboard. Check with Destination Services if you are interested. 

3 minutes ago, labonnevie said:

If I may add, generally the option for transport to the airport including some form of an excursion is only available after you are onboard. Check with Destination Services if you are interested. 

Yes, and I apologize for thinking you were flying over the pond; evening flights are usually international.  

4 hours ago, CJANDH said:

Dangerous move to book your arrival flight on the day of the embarkation. A flight cancelation or even a delay could mean you miss your whole cruise. Most experienced cruisers always arrive the day before embarkation and stay a night (or two if traveling internationally) in a nearby hotel.

While I agree with a lot of what you say (except I am a VERY experienced cruiser, though not with Regent), our flight is a very short one, from RDU, so I’m not concerned about “missing the boat”.  Flying across the pond is a whole different situation!

9 hours ago, Older Sister said:

We’re doing our first Regent cruise next month, the Western Caribbean cruise out of Miami on February 27.  Our flight arrives in Miami around 8:30; by the time we retrieve our luggage and are transported to the ship it’ll probably be closer to 10 am.  Will we be permitted to board the ship and wait patiently somewhere until our rooms are ready?

Also, our flight home doesn’t leave until 6:30 pm.  I know that some cruise lines reserve a suite or room at a hotel near the airport for folks like us with late flights.  Does Regent do this?  Or do I need to do some research on options at Miami airport?

I don’t know if this makes any difference, but our flights were booked through Regent.  

Thanks in advance for any information!

Allyn

Another option post-cruise might be to take advantage of the airlines' lounges, either as a perk of your flight or to buy your way in. Usually not a bad way to spend several hours pre- flight.

There have been so many delays and cancellations, regardless time of year. Right now weather causing major cancellations across the US and Canada. I used to arrive day of, now one day on domestic departure cruises, and two or more on international.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, pooleman said:

Another option post-cruise might be to take advantage of the airlines' lounges, either as a perk of your flight or to buy your way in. Usually not a bad way to spend several hours pre- flight.

I agree on the lounge issue, but overcrowding and time limits have put a stop to this delight.  This has been my experience since moving to the US in 2016. The first time we flew out of Orlando we were shocked that we couldn't even check in for our flight and check our bags more than 4 hours before the flight.  Centurion lounges only allow you in 3 hours before first flight and that is if the lounge isn't already full.  The same goes for priority pass lounges that we have been waitlisted on up to 3 hours. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 8:54 AM, Older Sister said:

Most of the Regent cruises I have been on ending in Miami have offered, at no charge, a post debarkation tour ending at the airport for cruisers whose flights are leaving after 4 PM (I think). There may be a charge if you haven't booked your air though Regent. If that doesn't meet your needs, you can always book a private tour that will get you to the airport at the best time for you. Google "Miami cruise port excursions" and you will get a bunch of options, most of them customizable.

• Like 2