Question about trip cost and how to apply to traveler

Hello,

My spouse and I have separate travel insurance policies for an upcoming cruise.

He used a policy credit from a previous canceled trip and I bought my own. We have the same plan.  My spouse paid for all the excursions and specialty dining. Do I need to list the cost under him or split it up between the 2 of us?

Do I need to include this cost at all since it is refundable until 48 hours before departure? It was purchased per Royal Caribbean cruise planner.
Any insight would be appreciated. Thank you

In this case, as it’s not clear which insurance company may be covering the trip, it may be best to contact the insurance company so that they can advise.  Typically, the person that is paying the money would be the one to insure it as they would need to be made whole in the event of a covered claim.  We also recommend that you insure the full prepaid non-refundable cost of the trip.  Think, if you had to cancel the trip on the day of departure, how much would you stand to lose?  Although, certain costs may be refundable up to a certain point before departure, if you don’t insure them, you’re still taking a risk once they become non-refundable, even if just for a few days.  Also, some benefits on certain insurance plans may require you to insure the full cost of the trip.

Could you expand on the last sentence about insurance plans requiring you to insure the full cost of the trip?  Most of our excursions are fully refundable or not due until we go (not through the cruise ship) as is our lodging pre and post cruise so did not include those expenses in our insurance purchase for our cruise.  To be honest the purchase of the insurance is mainly for the medical portion due to not having insurance outside of the US (cruise is in the Mediterranean).  Thank you.

If you were to wake up on the day of departure too sick to travel and have to cancel your trip, the amount of money that you would be out is what you would want to insure to fully cover your trip cost and be eligible for certain benefits that require the full trip cost to be insured.  If the cost of the trip is not a concern, there are a couple options.  If the cruise is outside of the U.S., they may consider a travel medical policy which focuses on emergency medical and emergency medical evac. benefits.  

If the trip is within the U.S., they can consider a comprehensive plan with a $0 trip cost.  This would give medical benefits and some other post departure coverage, but would not offer any coverage for the cost of the trip if they had to cancel or interrupt.  Again, it may also invalidate certain benefits that require the full trip cost to be insured.