Chances of free cabin upgrade on P&O Britannia?

MDav123

Hi All,

First cruise with P&O.

Am doing 7 night Norwegian Fjords cruise at the end of April on Britannia.

Currently I'm booked in a single inside cabin. As I booked very early on I just wondered what the chances are of getting a free upgrade when they allocate the cabins a few weeks before departure.

Just now, MDav123 said:

Hi All,

First cruise with P&O.

Am doing 7 night Norwegian Fjords cruise at the end of April on Britannia.

Currently I'm booked in a single inside cabin. As I booked very early on I just wondered what the chances are of getting a free upgrade when they allocate the cabins a few weeks before departure.

Free upgrades are a lot rarer these days since the introduction of the new system that allows people to bid for upgrades. 

There are quite a few things to be aware of though. Firstly, what P&O calls an upgrade isn’t what most people would understand one to be. They might ‘upgrade’ you to another inside cabin that is purely a slightly higher grade due to being more midships. 

Secondly, the minimum bid prices quoted so far have almost all been no cheaper than booking the better grade cabin in the first place!

Finally, upgrades (paid or free) carry the considerable risk of you being allocated a cabin in a poor area, above or below a source of noise that can impact on your enjoyment of the cruise. 

For these, and other, reasons we tend to choose a cabin and then say ‘no’ to upgrades. Obviously that’s not an option with a Saver fare. 

I’m solo in an inside cabin on my upcoming Britannia cruise.

Unfortunately it’s a 4 berth with fixed lower beds so I’m really hoping for an upgrade. At the time of booking it was all that was left. I certainly didn’t want to pay double for an upgrade! 

I’d be happy with an inside cabin with a proper double bed instead of stuck with two singles! 

Edited by Glitterati