Alaska Excursions

Nomeslee

My parents and I are taking our first cruise to Alaska May 10-20 and I'm looking for suggestions on excursions or fun things to do on our own. Our ports are: 

Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Haines, Sitka, Ketchikan. We have been dog sledding and walked on a glacier before, so looking for something different to do. We enjoy hiking and seeing nature.

On 1/24/2024 at 3:00 PM, Nomeslee said:

My parents and I are taking our first cruise to Alaska May 10-20 and I'm looking for suggestions on excursions or fun things to do on our own. Our ports are: 

Juneau, Icy Strait Point, Haines, Sitka, Ketchikan. We have been dog sledding and walked on a glacier before, so looking for something different to do. We enjoy hiking and seeing nature.

Juneau - All Tours - Juneau Tours and Excursions - Juneau, AK

ISP - Glacier Wind Charters

Haines - Kroschel Wildlife CenterThe Experience - Takshanuk Mountain Trai

Sitka - https://visitsitka.org/ - you can totally do it yourself or take a tour, I'm working on this port now. Big things are Fortress of Bears, Raptor Center and Totems at Nat'l Park/Forest

Ketchikan - working on it now, very easy to do Totem Bight Park via public bus

• Like 1

On 1/24/2024 at 8:00 PM, Nomeslee said:

My parents and I are taking our first cruise to Alaska May 10-20 and I'm looking for suggestions on excursions or fun things to do on our own.

This fairly recent thread might give some useful suggestions for independent activities.  Although it isn't the main theme of the thread, probably worth a few minutes of your time.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2982623-not-so-expensive-excursions/#comment-66701227

And you can of course use the SEARCH tool to find past threads for all your ports, and you should find a number of suggestions on them.  EG Juneau

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=juneau&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=33

In Juneau this year I am taking the tram up and then taking a hike to gastineau peak. It’s a 3.9 mile hike classified as hard. I might also follow this with a 3.6 mile hike down into town. 

In Icy Straight this year I’m taking a walk into Hoonah since I haven’t done that before. Honestly though I’ve loved just watching the whales and other sea life right from shore even in this port.