Two days in Barcelona with the cruise and on our own - need some advice

We're doing the Viking cruise in a few months and our last port is Barcelona. Once we dock there, we actually spend 1 more night on the ship. So we'll dock at 8 a.m. on Friday and then we have to disembark on Saturday morning. We have a hotel (Catalonia Square) booked for Saturday night. This being our first Viking cruise, we're not sure how they are with time and such for disembarking, but I assume it's pretty standard (guessing we'll need to be off by around 9-10 a.m.) as compared to other lines. Our hotel is about 15-20 minutes from the port, so we'll take a taxi there.

We want to visit La Sagrada Familia of course. There is an optional tour offered through Viking ($140/person) that includes Gaudi architecture and La Sagrada, although I'm not 100% certain it includes time to explore inside the actual basilica. It's says "step inside..." but I know I've read that some of these excursions don't give you much time. There are a few other tours that we're interested in as well, even the included, basic walking tour that gives an overview of the city.

Would you suggest taking a planned tour (we'll either book one or just buy tickets online) for Saturday when we have all day? Or would Friday on our own be better? And what's the amount of time people typically spend there? Just wondering so if we still want to do a Viking excursion on Friday, we can plan it the best way. We won't have time on Sunday really to do anything as we have a 1 p.m. flight, so if anything we'll walk around a little bit and then grab a taxi to get to the airport. I did read the other thread posted with tips and info on transportation in Barcelona, so that's helpful. It seems that getting a taxi from our hotel to the airport shouldn't be an issue at all.

I'm also curious about how hotels in Barcelona are with dropping luggage early in the day? We had no problem with that in the UK when we last cruised in Europe. I know we'll be there possibly around 9-10 in the morning, which is several hours before a room will most likely be ready, so trying to figure out what to do with our luggage. We do plan on doing carry on only, so we're not going to be dragging a ton of bags with us. I'm also concerned about keeping our personal items secure. So just looking for some advice and tips on the best way to handle all of this.

Thanks so much!

2 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

We're doing the Viking cruise in a few months and our last port is Barcelona. Once we dock there, we actually spend 1 more night on the ship. So we'll dock at 8 a.m. on Friday and then we have to disembark on Saturday morning. We have a hotel (Catalonia Square) booked for Saturday night. This being our first Viking cruise, we're not sure how they are with time and such for disembarking, but I assume it's pretty standard (guessing we'll need to be off by around 9-10 a.m.) as compared to other lines. Our hotel is about 15-20 minutes from the port, so we'll take a taxi there.

We want to visit La Sagrada Familia of course. There is an optional tour offered through Viking ($140/person) that includes Gaudi architecture and La Sagrada, although I'm not 100% certain it includes time to explore inside the actual basilica. It's says "step inside..." but I know I've read that some of these excursions don't give you much time. There are a few other tours that we're interested in as well, even the included, basic walking tour that gives an overview of the city.

Would you suggest taking a planned tour (we'll either book one or just buy tickets online) for Saturday when we have all day? Or would Friday on our own be better? And what's the amount of time people typically spend there? Just wondering so if we still want to do a Viking excursion on Friday, we can plan it the best way. We won't have time on Sunday really to do anything as we have a 1 p.m. flight, so if anything we'll walk around a little bit and then grab a taxi to get to the airport. I did read the other thread posted with tips and info on transportation in Barcelona, so that's helpful. It seems that getting a taxi from our hotel to the airport shouldn't be an issue at all.

I'm also curious about how hotels in Barcelona are with dropping luggage early in the day? We had no problem with that in the UK when we last cruised in Europe. I know we'll be there possibly around 9-10 in the morning, which is several hours before a room will most likely be ready, so trying to figure out what to do with our luggage. We do plan on doing carry on only, so we're not going to be dragging a ton of bags with us. I'm also concerned about keeping our personal items secure. So just looking for some advice and tips on the best way to handle all of this.

Thanks so much!

Hello

Apart from visiting the Sagrada Familia, Barcelona offers much, much more. So much so that two days will be too little for what you want to do.

I have written these posts that I invite you to read

1- Visit the Gothic quarter, Ramblas, cathedral and nearby areas (it is mandatory. I would go to this area before the Sagrada Familia)
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2983675-one-day-in-barcelona-gothic-district-and-surroundings/#comment-66712062

2- Visit the Sagrada Familia and other works of Barcelona modernism. You have Paseo de Gracia right next to the hotel.

3- Go to Montjuic mountain. Offers a lot for a full day visit
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2981525-🩵-one-day-in-barcelona-montjuic-mountain/#comment-66748812

and bonuses
4- Visit Zaragoza. Here I indicate how to take a full-day excursion to a city that will offer you a different visit to other cities we know.
https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2985087-one-day-away-from-barcelona-a-day-visit-to-zaragoza/#comment-66755365

Of course you can do a partial visit of each thing. Depending on how long you want to stay. For example, in Montjuic you can stay for a while or not finish as long as you enter all the places.

About the hotel, ask about room availability and luggage. It is common for the reception to store your bags before and after entering, but each hotel has its own rules. Likewise, you find more and more slogans in city centers. The problem of having to store luggage can be solved with 10 euros.

Please visit those threads and ask any questions you have about each area within them. You will help the next ones who ask because all the information will be grouped

Thanks @alserrod I know there's a lot to see & do, and I've heard it a hundred times that 2 days isn't enough time. Unfortunately, it's all we can do after our long cruise. So it is what it is... I know we want to see La Sagrada Familia, so I'm trying to determine which day would be better to do it. I actually found a tour this afternoon (after I posted this) that would take us around the city, out to Montserrat, and then end at the LSF. It doesn't include tickets there, but if you want that, they will help with that. So I'm considering that for our full day on Saturday. Then we may just stick with the ship offered tour for Friday morning. They also offer an evening walking tour that would be pretty to see too.

Your first link looks helpful too, so that may be our day for Friday. That's our kind of walking and site seeing, so that's helpful. Then save the LSF for Saturday along with something else.

Thanks!

According with your plans

1st day, Gothic quarter. Full day

2nd day, Sagrada Familia + Modernism around Paseo de Gracia

No time for Montjuic

Montserrat is overrated IMHO. Stay in Barcelona

Use that information I have linked. I do not know if there's something missing. If so, just write in those threads and I will try to update them

• Like 2

Get a taxi to La Sagrada. Pre-book your entry tickets for opening time (from memory it was 9am). Be there about quarter to. Be the first people in La Sagrada - and you'll have the run of the place.. you'll take photos without people everywhere etc. It's great before it fills up. Probably be out of there by 11am. 

• Like 1

You can easily DIY in Barcelona.  I rarely see the point of a guide, although it can be enjoyable to listen on a bus journey.  I frequently refer to Rick Steves audio tours.  I have enjoyed some great walking tours - he has 2 walking tours of BCN.  There are also a couple of podcasts that would be great to listen to while relaxing on the ship.  

Hotels will let you leave bags from the morning, ask them before you book.   Just don't leave anything valuable in them.  

• Like 3

On 1/28/2024 at 12:45 AM, Over from NZ said:

Get a taxi to La Sagrada. Pre-book your entry tickets for opening time (from memory it was 9am). Be there about quarter to. Be the first people in La Sagrada - and you'll have the run of the place.. you'll take photos without people everywhere etc. It's great before it fills up. Probably be out of there by 11am. 

Thanks! We're supposed to dock Friday morning at 8 a.m., so maybe we'll plan to do that right away from the ship. From what I read, it didn't seem like we needed to do this on an excursion either. I tried to buy tickets, but it wasn't open yet. Looks like only 2 months in advance. So I'll check back later.

On 1/28/2024 at 7:30 AM, ollienbertsmum said:

You can easily DIY in Barcelona.  I rarely see the point of a guide, although it can be enjoyable to listen on a bus journey.  I frequently refer to Rick Steves audio tours.  I have enjoyed some great walking tours - he has 2 walking tours of BCN.  There are also a couple of podcasts that would be great to listen to while relaxing on the ship.  

Hotels will let you leave bags from the morning, ask them before you book.   Just don't leave anything valuable in them.  

Thanks! I have the Rick Steves book, and I downloaded the app, so I will definitely check there.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kctwinmommy said:

Thanks! We're supposed to dock Friday morning at 8 a.m., so maybe we'll plan to do that right away from the ship. From what I read, it didn't seem like we needed to do this on an excursion either. I tried to buy tickets, but it wasn't open yet. Looks like only 2 months in advance. So I'll check back later.

You don't need to do a ships excursion. We just grabbed a taxi from the ship there and that was cheap enough. 

1 hour ago, Over from NZ said:

You don't need to do a ships excursion. We just grabbed a taxi from the ship there and that was cheap enough. 

Yep, that's why I said we'll skip theirs. I just can't buy tickets yet through LSF, it looks like they only open 2 months ahead of time.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kctwinmommy said:

Just some tips about how to move in Barcelona

From the pier to Sagrada Familia, the best way will be a taxi, but if you are going to move within city centre later, the subway can be useful (and if traffic jams, sometimes, faster and cheaper)

I don't agree alserod that Montserrat is overrated; but of course I spent several hours there and did two walks used the airial car higher up and visited the church and the museum with the so called Transmonserrat Ticket Deal (and even had the opportunity to hear the boys choir) on my own and not with a tour and limited time...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LindaAndBillTravel said:

I recommend taking one of the free walking tours of the Gothic area. You’ll get much more out of it. 

For those who want to visit Gothic quarter, this is my suggestion

5 hours ago, onyx007 said:

I don't agree alserod that Montserrat is overrated; but of course I spent several hours there and did two walks used the airial car higher up and visited the church and the museum with the so called Transmonserrat Ticket Deal (and even had the opportunity to hear the boys choir) on my own and not with a tour and limited time...

Well... matter of opinion. There are other and greater monasteries in Spain, some of them not far from Barcelona. I would not spend a whole day there, I prefer other destinations but... may someone wanna, it is possible.

23 hours ago, alserrod said:

Well... matter of opinion. There are other and greater monasteries in Spain, some of them not far from Barcelona. I would not spend a whole day there, I prefer other destinations but... may someone wanna, it is possible.

That's the problem; One goes NOT to Montserrat for the monastry but for the beautiful landscape and the hikes you can make...if the main reason is to visit only the monastry and cathedrale then I agree with you, that it is overrated