West Indies Rum and Beach Experience

Blaise

I'm due to stop at Barbados on Feb 5th. This island is known for both its beaches and its rums, both of which I've enjoyed in the past. I was torn between visiting the beach and visiting a distillery. Foursquare distillery has some of the best rums, which I have little experience with, but it's distant from the port and beaches. Mount Gay has a visitor center near the port, but has limited offerings and I'm not certain I could participate in anything other than a full tour there.

After doing some digging I discovered that the West Indies Distillery has a new visitor center and beach experience available. They are an excellent old distillery, which makes Stade and Plantation rums (soon to be renamed Planteray, it appears). I've enjoyed their rums (the Plantation 5yr is my go-to for a mixer), but only a few of their offerings can usually be found in my area. They are situated just a bit north of the port, and along the quiet (but seemingly beautiful) Brighton Beach. Apparently, they've added a bar (serving some food) and a decking area, and chairs with umbrellas can be had on the beach.

At this point, information is hard to come by on how to take advantage of their bar and beach, which is why I'm posting this.

I found this site: https://westindiesrumdistillery.com/
I tried asking them a question, with no response back. I went ahead and booked their "Stade's Rum Tasting and Beach Experience." In the booking it asked if I wanted chair/umbrella for an extra charge, which seemed odd given that this was a "Beach Experience" to begin with. It apparently includes pickup/drop-off, but didn't include the cruise port as a selectable location (though write-in was available).  I then sent an email, asking about transportation, to an address I found on this FAQ page: https://stadesrumexperience.rezgo.com/page/faq 

A few days later I got a reply saying that they would indeed handle transportation at the port, and that I'd be contacted closer to go-time with details. They also indicated that there was a double-booking mistake, and I was not supposed to have been charged extra for the chairs (which I hadn't even mentioned in my email).

At this point, everything looks good to go. The experience is supposed to include welcome drinks and samples of several rums. It's not a rum tour (that is a separate booking), but should include some info about their rums, then on to hanging out at their beach and bar, with changing facilities and lockers available.  Sounds perfect.

I'll try to come back here with followup info about what I experienced, what the bar and food was like, and how I liked the beach. Can't wait to try their aged rums, and they are releasing a new coconut rum that I'm anxious to try. Their flavored rums are different from most in that the rum they use is itself a quality, somewhat aged rum, unlike something like Cruzan. I'd love to see if they can blend me up a cocktail using their coconut and pineapple rums :D

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Update with post trip review? We will be in port on 2/27. Looking at their tour availability calendar it looks like no availability on Tuesdays. Are they closed on Tuesdays? Their business location on googlemaps says they are closed Sun/Mon but not Tuesday. I sent a message via the webpage as well.

Thanks!

Following up...

Again, I did the "Stade's Rum Tasting and Beach Experience." Turns out that I could have just taken a cab over and probably paid for chairs and had drinks. A couple strolled up from the beach and just hung out at the bar with us while we were there. 

We got picked up just outside the gate, at the roundabout. They are working on signage to use. Very short drive from the dock. There were only 3 other people as part of my group besides my DW. We had a guide that gave us some info on the distillery and conducted a rum tasting of 4 rums. All outdoors and no dress requirements, like the distillery tour. Their new coconut rum and the XO 20yr is not to be missed. We then had a free rum punch and beach access available. We were able to name our own time for return to the port. Note that two chairs and umbrella are included in this, so be sure not to pay extra for those in the signup.

The beach is a quiet and attractive stretch. It is not quite the powder white of Accra, but it is a nice beach by most standards. We were the only one on the chairs, and saw few other people anywhere nearby. There are showers, changing facilities, and lockers for use. The bar and shop were in operation, but the small food facility was not yet open. They are working out the final details on this. They got us a food delivery in the meantime.

I would do this again, but maybe just drop in by cab next time. Great space and the people were great. The rums are, as expected, very good. Good mixers and good sippers. The coconut is unique in that it is aged, unlike most flavored rums. It's good enough to be a sipper. And if you want to become an actual fan of straight rum, try a pour of the Plantation XO.

I wouldn't do this venue if you want a party beach and water sports, or if Bacardi drinks are satisfactory. Until this hidden gem get discovered, it's a cool, quiet hangout with great drinks.

I've attached some pictures from my phone and camera.

_DSC2016.JPG

_DSC2015.JPG

_DSC2014.JPG

_DSC2013.JPG

_DSC2012.JPG

_DSC2011.JPG

_DSC2010.JPG

_DSC2009.JPG

_DSC2008.JPG

_DSC2007.JPG

_DSC2006.JPG

_DSC2005.JPG