Eielson Visitor Center is closed

tempoct

A copy of park map (PDF) I got said that. Is this true? They seem to do contruction and will close for the season.

I'm planning to see where should I do some short hikes.

Is there any other big facility/ rest area along the park road? I'll probably go as far as Wonder Lake.

It's been closed over a year. The temp stop at mile 63 is Fish Creek, nice exhibits available to look at in a big tent. Chemical toilets. You can still get off the bus near Eielson, but you would need the Wonder Lake Shuttle. The immediate area around Eielson is closed but everywhere around it is "open" for hiking.

Other than fish Creek, there is no other "rest area" for hiking. All open wilderness.

I will be there for almost full afternoon, a following full day and couple morning hours on the last day before driving back to ANC.

I'd do the Wonder Lake shuttle on the full 2nd day. I'm still not sure what to do in the first and last day. I think about driving on my own for the first afternoon or take another shuttle to closer destination and do some hiking. What spots do you recommend?

Hi Yukon,

Thanks for the tips :) I actually heading from Talkeetna, which I probably did the flightseeing and maybe rafting.

Where can I find the info about those activities in Denali area? Is it Denali or nearby Denali?

I'm very interested in scenic short hikes so I can do more photographs.

Hi Yukon,

Thanks for the tips :) I actually heading from Talkeetna, which I probably did the flightseeing and maybe rafting.

Where can I find the info about those activities in Denali area? Is it Denali or nearby Denali?

I'm very interested in scenic short hikes so I can do more photographs.

As someone who has done the shuttle to Eilson in the past, I am very happy they are building a new visitor's center. As I remember, there wasn't even food or water to buy there so you had to bring it all in. In 8 hours, you need more than a little snack.

As someone who has done the shuttle to Eilson in the past, I am very happy they are building a new visitor's center. As I remember, there wasn't even food or water to buy there so you had to bring it all in. In 8 hours, you need more than a little snack.

I doubt there will be food available, there was a drinking fountain however.

The transportation center, now, has a very limited selection of food for sale for the shuttle buses. It is really no big deal bringing your own either. :)

Is the "transportation center" the new visitor center that is supposed to replace the old Eilson Visitor Center I had read they were building?

My understanding was the new visitor center would have more snacks and food for sale than the old one.

Is the "transportation center" the new visitor center that is supposed to replace the old Eilson Visitor Center I had read they were building?

My understanding was the new visitor center would have more snacks and food for sale than the old one.

The "transportation center" where all the shuttle buses leave from, is the old visitor center. The new visitor center is by the train depot. The Eielson visitor center is at mile 63 on the Park Road. A couple year's off from being completed- told to me last year. Eielson, never had any food to sell.

For clairfication the transportation center at the entrance and from where the shuttle buses leave, did have a small selection of food and drinks. BUT with all the other options available, you should definately have that purchased and brought with you before you get there. Lodgings frequently have bag lunchs for purchase and Subway is open 24/day. If driving, easy for a grocery stop in Fairbanks or Wasilla.

Archived