ss norway

dallas16

I wonder what exactly was removed from the ship? It would be great if someone would acquire current photos of the interior of Norway and post them on the CCB for all of us to see what she looks like today...wonder if NCL stripped her?:confused:

From what I have read, the strippers at Alang or wherever they took her were getting ready to tear her apart when the problem of asbestos was brought up. I imagine most of the furniture, etc has been removed.

From what I have read, the strippers at Alang or wherever they took her were getting ready to tear her apart when the problem of asbestos was brought up. I imagine most of the furniture, etc has been removed.

God love those strippers

Here is a Norway thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=270847&highlight=norway

I'll go as high as 5 bucks. That was a beautiful ship!

It would take $100 bucks a member just to buy it and perhaps another $1500 per member to get it moving again.

That will be difficult since some members think $10 a day is far to much to pay for tips :rolleyes: :eek: :D

Who wants to fill the tanks - as I recall when the engines were working the Norway got 1 foot to the gallon:D

Count me in for $100.00. I still have a photo of her as my desktop wallpaper at home. What a fabulous ship. Nothing else can compare.

The France/Norway is for sale on some cheap website for only $30,000,000! what has it come to?

from

http://www.encyclopedia-titanica.org/discus/messages/6937/92759.html?1112879035

Your Monthly Payment for 30 Years

for an Interest Rate of 6.000 %

on a Loan Amount of $ 30,000,000.00:$ 179,865.16 a Month

181,257 Cruisecritic members

Less than a dollar a month

Here's a link to a satellite photo of the Norway where it is anchored now.

http://www.spotimage.fr/html/_167_240_963_964_.php

You can click on the box in this photo to get a closer bird's eye photo.

I've read somewhere that since the Norway had the boiler explosion in Miami, that it could be salvaged and reflagged as an American ship. If true, NCL is wasting a great opportunity to enlarge the NCLA fleet. Personally, I don't think it can happen, but who really knows all the loopholes in the maritime laws?

I agree it was our best cruise ever just being on her made you think how many different people have sailed her. Laying out on the rear deck having little chuncks of black stuff on you , she was a beauty, on shore at St. Thomas looking at her out in the bay it was something I will never forget. Where is that person that won the big 300 something million lottery? Anybody guess what it would cost to get her sailing again I know nothing about the cost of removing asbestos?

Your Monthly Payment for 30 Years for an Interest Rate of 6.000 % on a Loan Amount of $ 30,000,000.00:$ 179,865.16 a Month

181,257 Cruisecritic members. Less than a dollar a month

That would buy the ship, now where is the cash going to come from to dock the ship? Or operate it? Or pay the crew?

At 18 knots, the SS Norway consumed 200 tons of fuel oil per day.

Heavy fuel oil costs an average of $203.40 per metric ton in 2004. In 2005, the average price for fuel oil increased 50% to approximately $282.00 per metric ton. The SS Norway would spend around $56,400 per day for fuel. For a 7 day cruise, the SS Norway would spend about $394,800 for fuel. For an entire year, the SS Norway would require $20,530,000 for fuel.

In 1998, the average price for fuel oil was just an average of $86.90 per metric ton. That means it costs more than three times as much to move the SS Norway today than it did less than 10 years ago. Have cruise fares tripled in the last 10 years?

Last year, (2005) NCL spent $119,412,000 on fuel, the year before (2004) $78,013,000 on fuel. Last year, NCL operated the entire year with 10 ships in operation, with the 11 ship in operation for just half a year. For each ship, their fuel bills averaged $11,372,570. That's almost $10,000,000 less than the costs to fuel the Norway if it were in operation last year. The facts hint that the Norway consumes twice the amount of fuel as the newer ships.

And passengers wonder why NCL wants to scrap the Norway?

Fuel problem gone.

Nuke certified crew will cost but the payoff is worth it. Fully electric vessel with no emissions outside of allowable venting from oil seps and other mandatory machinery...

Where do I sign up? :eek:

Cheers,

Norman

Fuel problem gone.

The S8G reactor is the eighth nuclear fission reactor design finalized for use in powering U. S. Navy submarine

from

http://www.answers.com/topic/s8g-reactor

Warp theory and technology

from

http://www.answers.com/topic/warp-drive-star-trek?method=22

The Infinite Improbability Drive is the spaceship drive for the starship Heart of Gold in the science fiction story

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infinite_Improbability_Drive

A S8G nuclear reactor power plant costs upwards to $1 billion. The Norway would probably require two.

Why spend over $2 billion when the new 220,000 GRT Royal Caribbean Genesis class cruise ship, capable of accommodating 6,400 passengers, costs around $1 billion? That's over three times the passengers as the Norway.

Modern cruise ships like the Dawn at 90,000 GRT price tags are near $400-$450 million. Carnival spends $500-$600 million for the Destiny/Conquest class at 110,000 GRT, while Royal Caribbean spends up to $750-$800 million for the Voyager and Freedom class.

I've read somewhere that to re-engine the Norway with a long stroke diesel-electric power plant will cost near $60 million. But that price is hard to believe when Cunard spent $180 million to re-engine the QE2 from steam turbines to diesel-electric back in the 1980s.

Just to replace the damaged boiler would cost NCL around $10 million. But with the fuel costing $10 million a year more, that option doesn't look profitable for th elong term, with fuel prices rising every year. And that's why there are few cruise corporations looking at buying the Norway.

NCL did buy the SS United States for approximately $26 million, as that was the asking price, which I doubt NCL paid. NCL did buy the SS Independence for $4 million from the Maritime Administration. Both these ships are registered as American, can could cruise with an America crew from one American port to another. Since building new cruise ships costs twice as much in America than in Europe, I can see NCL spending some cash to refurbish them to expand NCLA if they wished, but not on the Norway.

Earlier this month, at a cruise industry conference, NCL hinted their next new builds will be significantly larger than the 92,000 GRT Star-Dawn-Jewel-Pride of Hawaii-Pearl-Gem class. With NCL spending over $500 million and possibly up to $600 million for at least a 120,000 GRT ship, will NCL have any funds left over to refurbish any older ships? I suggest the new, larger NCL cruise ship class might be an enlarged version of the ship they almost ordered in late 2004. Here's a drawing NCL posted in 2004 so you can see what it might look like:

NCLship.jpg

A S8G nuclear reactor power plant costs upwards to $1 billion.

Nuclear marine propulsion is propulsion of a Merchant ship powered by a nuclear reactor

from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_marine_propulsion

NUCLEAR REACTOR US $220.00

from

http://cgi.ebay.com/LIONEL-463-NUCLEAR-REACTOR_W0QQitemZ6044286709QQcategoryZ4148QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

§§§

Why spend over $2 billion when the new 220,000 GRT Royal Caribbean Genesis class cruise ship, capable of accommodating 6,400 passengers, costs around $1 billion? That's over three times the passengers as the Norway.§§§

Because being able to glow in the dark is way cooler!

Let's just say a pair of 100,000 kW (100MW) plants will suffice VERY nicely. This kind of power could take care of Genesis class vessels at any rate especially when one considers high efficiacy lighting (HID/LED) reducing hotel loads and an R717 plant for onboard cooling requirements. Better make that hull strong and have a good skipper. :eek:

LOL at some of the links. :D

Cheers,

Norman

R717 plant for onboard cooling requirements.

Appendices. Characteristics of R717 refrigerant on the saturation line

from

http://www.allchemi.com/eng/refregerants/appendix6.html

R717 (Ammonia) require a two stage system to ensure economical running conditions

from

http://www.fjb.co.uk/contentlargescrewcompressors.htm

The Genesis class is to be propelled by four (4) 20,000 KW ABB azipods with the two center azipods fixed. The Voyager and Freedom class are propelled by three (3) 20,000 KW ABB azipods with the center azipod fixed.

That only adds up to 80,000 KW for the Genesis class, 60,000 KW for the Voyager and Freedom class, and is sufficient for them to travel at 20+ knots, but no where near as fast as the 25 knots of NCL Panamax sized ships with just 40,000 KW.

Archived