Tendering Priority

Some cruise lines require priority guests to obtain timed passes from the concierge if there are many priority guests. I dont know if Hal does the same.   Definitely everyone would not fit on the first tender

I know that each line is different. I haven't had to tender on a HAL cruise in probably 8 or 9 years, but I think they used to tell priority passengers to just go down to the tenders. With more people having priority, that could be messy. 

I have another tender question. Our arrival times for Grand Cayman and HMC were originally listed as 8:00. Now both say 9:00. They're tender ports, so is HAL saying we anchor at 8 and the first tenders should arrive around 9? Or does this mean they anticipate anchoring at 9?

HMC doesn't matter, but I have a tour booked for 9 on Cayman. HAL's earliest tours are at 9:30, I assume that's 9:30 ashore, not gathering to get tender tickets. So is that a hint that I can't make the 9:00 tour?

• Like 1

On the World Cruise, we had to line up for tender tickets. That was/is a cruise where just about everyone has tender priority. 
I understand that on this year's World Cruise there are two areas to go to collect tender tickets---one for those with priority, and a different place for those without. People are lined up as early as 6:00 AM some days! 

This month on K'dam and last month on NS there were 3 meeting places for tenders:

1) Ship excursions met in World Stage at designated times then went in groups to the tenders.

Pax w/o excursions -

2) Priority pax went to a place (K'dam it was PG, don't remember on NS) and were taken to tenders in order they had arrived at the meeting location.

3) All other pax went to a place (BB Kings on these 2 ships) to collect numbers and boarded tenders when their numbers were called.

Our ship was full. Both times I did not have ship excursion so I was in the Priority group. Both times I was in the 2nd tender. It went smoothly except it was the honor system on lining up to head to the tenders since numbers/tickets weren't being used and it got a little messy.

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I know that each line is different. I haven't had to tender on a HAL cruise in probably 8 or 9 years, but I think they used to tell priority passengers to just go down to the tenders. With more people having priority, that could be messy. 

I have another tender question. Our arrival times for Grand Cayman and HMC were originally listed as 8:00. Now both say 9:00. They're tender ports, so is HAL saying we anchor at 8 and the first tenders should arrive around 9? Or does this mean they anticipate anchoring at 9?

HMC doesn't matter, but I have a tour booked for 9 on Cayman. HAL's earliest tours are at 9:30, I assume that's 9:30 ashore, not gathering to get tender tickets. So is that a hint that I can't make the 9:00 tour?

You definitely need to let your tour operator know of the change in arrival time. They monitor closely, but still your responsibility to let them know there has been a schedule change.

Edited by Haljo1935
Typo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Haljo1935 said:

You definitely need to let your tour operator know of the change in arrival time. They monitor close, but still your responsibility to let them know there has been a schedule change.

I'm going to call Monday morning (booking company doesn't have weekend hours). I hope to change to a later tour departure. I prefer to go early when it's relatively cooler, but I don't want the hassle of trying to get up before dawn to get a tender ticket! 

And now that I think about it, shouldn't HAL have sent out a notification that the times had been changed? 

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

I'm going to call Monday morning (booking company doesn't have weekend hours). I hope to change to a later tour departure. I prefer to go early when it's relatively cooler, but I don't want the hassle of trying to get up before dawn to get a tender ticket! 

And now that I think about it, shouldn't HAL have sent out a notification that the times had been changed? 

Nov on NS we had a port change fairly late the evening before; I think the announcement was made around 8pm. The new port was a tender port and we had outside excursion like you do. Our tour was scheduled for same time that we were due to be anchoring.

The tour company waited for us and met us right when we got off the tender, which ended up being about an hour later than scheduled. The others from our ship that were also on the tour were already there waiting as they'd made the 1st tender, we were on the 2nd one.

We had contacted the tour company to let them know about the change as had the other pax; they were aware because they monitored the ship itinerary. 

The new port was about half hour away from the original port, BTW.

Tour companies generally a great job accommodating itinerary changes as they want you to have a good experience. 

23 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Yes, you should have received notice of the change. If you have a TA, it would have gone to them and they should have forwarded it to you.

Just now, Haljo1935 said:

Nov on NS we had a port change fairly late the evening before; I think the announcement was made around 8pm. The new port was a tender port and we had outside excursion like you do. Our tour was scheduled for same time that we were due to be anchoring.

The tour company waited for us and met us right when we got off the tender, which ended up being about an hour later than scheduled. The others from our ship that were also on the tour were already there waiting as they'd made the 1st tender, we were on the 2nd one.

We had contacted the tour company to let them know about the change as had the other pax; they were aware because they monitored the ship itinerary. 

The new port was about half hour away from the original port, BTW.

Tour companies generally a great job accommodating itinerary changes as they want you to have a good experience. 

I think I have figured out who the vendor is on the island. I booked through the tour agency my TA uses, so I think I'll start with them. If they can't change the tour, I'll try the local emergency contact number they gave me for the vendor.

• Like 1

I’m currently sailing on the Koningsdam.  The day before we were to arrive at Kona, Hawaii (January 23, 2024), I received a card in my room with the following verbiage:

”Dear Mr. (Name omitted),

We are pleased to offer our Club Orange guests priority tender service in Kona, Hawaii.

If you are going ashore independently, you are not required to collect a tender ticket from the designated lounge and may proceed to Pinnacle Grill, Deck 2, Midship.  The priority service is for going ashore. Simply show your keycard to the staff.  If you are booked on a shore excursion that meets ashore, please proceed to your tour’s designated meeting location.”

11 minutes ago, ArizonaStorm said:

I’m currently sailing on the Koningsdam.  The day before we were to arrive at Kona, Hawaii (January 23, 2024), I received a card in my room with the following verbiage:

”Dear Mr. (Name omitted),

We are pleased to offer our Club Orange guests priority tender service in Kona, Hawaii.

If you are going ashore independently, you are not required to collect a tender ticket from the designated lounge and may proceed to Pinnacle Grill, Deck 2, Midship.  The priority service is for going ashore. Simply show your keycard to the staff.  If you are booked on a shore excursion that meets ashore, please proceed to your tour’s designated meeting location.”

Yep, that's the exact process I had. At PG, you just seat yourself where you please and then it's up to passengers to honor lining up in order when they call you to tender. For us, they were taking 40 at a time, so not everyone could go in the first group.