Blue Grotto tour - Malta?

Hello! We are a group of 4 stopping in Valetta, Malta at the end of May. We are interested in seeing the Blue Grotto but my search here on the forum keeps bringing up the Blue Lagoon which is not the same thing.

Has anyone taken a boat tour out to the Blue Grotto and if so, which tour operator did you go with? There is a Blue Grotto + Marsaxlook + Valetta highlights option on a known site but at $1500 for a half-day thing, that's over our budget.

Thanks for any leads!

57 minutes ago, Dreamer68 said:

Blue Grotto but my search here on the forum keeps bringing up the Blue Lagoon which is not the same thing.

Strange. I  just now tried and came up with these very few results, but even so,  perhaps reading some might be helpful:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q="blue grotto"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Strange. I  just now tried and came up with these very few results, but even so,  perhaps reading some might be helpful:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q="blue grotto"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=149&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

Thanks LOTS @edinburgher ! I had seen the DIY thread but will go through it more slowly. IF it looks like we can just build our own day - walk around Valetta near the dock, take a taxi to get a boat out to Blue Grotto and see Marsaxlokk...that's good to know. I wonder if we can write Shore excursions at Celebrity to see if there is a waitlist??

I don't know how big your group is but you can get a taxi from Valletta to the Blue Grotto, have them wait and then take you back to Valletta or somewhere else. Make sure to confirm that the taxi will wait for you as the Blue Grotto is rather remote and it would be difficult to pick up another taxi. The Blue Grotto is well worth a visit particularly on a hot day.

IMG20190610103413.thumb.jpg.c28dfac6a06100f008389d0674cf77f0.jpg

10 hours ago, Dreamer68 said:

Marsaxlokk..

We took a public bus to M. (sp!) from the bus station in Valletta. The bus stop was actually at the harbour so very convenient.The return bus left from the same bus stop we had arrived into but should you do this, better to check that has not changed.  We found info on bus timetables, even the stance number at the Valletta bus station, online.

12 hours ago, edinburgher said:

We took a public bus to M. (sp!) from the bus station in Valletta. The bus stop was actually at the harbour so very convenient.The return bus left from the same bus stop we had arrived into but should you do this, better to check that has not changed.  We found info on bus timetables, even the stance number at the Valletta bus station, online.

Thanks! I'll check for Valetta bus schedule online.  I'm presuming you used cash? Here's the ship excursion that we were interested in that's sold out. 

Screenshot_20240129-174034.png

22 minutes ago, Dreamer68 said:

I'm presuming you used cash

Yes we would have done. All the info was found online. I remember that several buses run to"M" , not all of which terminate at the harbour so check carefully, also because that means they may or may not have a different stance number at Valletta bus station. Try googling something like "public buses from Valletta to "M" (name in full) and choose whch of the results to read.

Will this be a first visit?  If it is, you can take the elevator from waterfront to the Upper Barrakka Gardens, exit, then head left to the edge of the city where the bus station is to be found. Probably around a 10 minute walk to the bus station from the Gardens. As for the " Valletta highlights" which were included in your tour, these can be easily done on foot independently as the city itself is fairly compact albeit with some steep streets. 

Do your homework. Iinternet searches including Tripadvisor, YouTube, the official Malta Tourist Office website and any others which appear when you search eg "Valletta tourist information".  You could also do as we do on our first visit to anywhere and google "self guided walking tour of XYZ".

Past threads for  Valletta

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q=valletta&quick=1&updated_after=any&sortby=newest

Edited by edinburgher

1 minute ago, edinburgher said:

Yes we would have done. All the info was found online. I remember that several buses run to"M" , not all of which terminate at the harbour so check carefully, also because that means they may or may not have a different stance number at Valletta bus station. Try googling something like "public buses from Valletta to "M" (name in full) and choose whch of the results to read.

Will this be a first visit?  If it is, you can take the elevator from waterfront to the Upper Barrakka Gardens, exit, then head left to the edge of the city where the bus station is to be found. Probably around a 10 minute walk to the bus station from the Gardens.

Indeed, this is our first visit. I've already told my group we are waking up early enough for the sail-in. 🤗 I read there were a bunch of things we can see and do near the port so, we'd do that after returning from the Blue Grotto and Marsaxlokk. 👍 I'm very interested in the history of the Knights Templar. Wondering if the Malta Experience is worth it...?

7 hours ago, Dreamer68 said:

Indeed, this is our first visit. I've already told my group we are waking up early enough for the sail-in. 🤗 I read there were a bunch of things we can see and do near the port so, we'd do that after returning from the Blue Grotto and Marsaxlokk. 👍 I'm very interested in the history of the Knights Templar. Wondering if the Malta Experience is worth it...?

The "Malta Experience" is excellent. It's in Mdina though. Which itself is another excellent thing to see (particularly if you're a GOT fan).. however if you're only there for a day - you're not going to be able to see all these things. 

14 hours ago, Dreamer68 said:

ndeed, this is our first visit

In that case, if exploring on foot, to save a steep uphill walk turn right when exiting the port, and walk along the flat waterfront road for a few hundred yards until you see the lift entrance on the opposite side.  1 euro to go up to the gardens with their fabulous viewpoint of the Grand Harbour and neighbouring towns, free to come down. Once up you are in the centre of the city.  You can see the lift shaft from the ship (starboard side) when sailing in if you know what to look for.