Themed evening buffet

When did P&O stop this, or is it still going on certain ships?

I didn't cruise between '17-19' and have been on Iona in '22 and themed buffets were gone, and I think on Oceana in '19 but I can't remember.

Did they release a statement about this, or did they just vanish.

Was a welcome change from MDR especially on Indian, Asian and Thai nights, and Country & Western.

Horizon on Iona was absolutely dire, you could barely cobble a coherent dinner together with it's mish mash of options!

Certainly on Azura before Christmas they were doing the Indian nights and Asian nights in the buffet and they tended to be the same nights as the formal nights to divert some of the traffic from the MDR.

• Like 1

October on Azura they did certain theme nights Indian, Tandoori, Chinese. Our Indian night was on a casual night and the waiters were saying MDR was empty so staff were asked to come up to the buffet to help.

• Like 1

That's two for Azura, maybe it's ship dependent now.

Can I ask how long the sailing was, my last 2 were both 7 nights, this could also be a potential factor 

47 minutes ago, 84k said:

That's two for Azura, maybe it's ship dependent now.

Can I ask how long the sailing was, my last 2 were both 7 nights, this could also be a potential factor 

I was on for two weeks, but the Azura winter cruises are in reality 7 night cruises with one week going that way and the next week going the other, so you can do two week or one week cruises.

1 hour ago, Fionboard said:

They had themed buffet nights on Arcadia last month. The big ships lack some of the things you still find on the smaller ones.

That's interesting, as I'm pretty sure they didn't have them when I was on her in August. So perhaps P&O are gradually bringing them back.

We were on Ventura in November.

They advertised an 'Indian Dinner' - it was very poor, nothing more than a small selection of not particularly inspiring dishes, alongside the normal buffet offerings.

We used to enjoy having the option of the P&O's themed buffets - especially the Indian ones - as a welcome change from the restaurant fare, and we were disappointed.

There may have been other 'dinners' but I don't recall - after the let down of the Indian one, we didn't bother.

1 hour ago, jh1809 said:

That's interesting, as I'm pretty sure they didn't have them when I was on her in August. So perhaps P&O are gradually bringing them back.

This would be great news if so 

According to my Mum, Britannia had Indian night in the buffet in November on the last formal night. They went to look after eating in the MDR and it had all gone by 8pm. 

I miss the curries in the buffet on a lunch time. Unsure why they don’t utilise the whole buffet area instead of just half of it. Smallest buffet I’ve encounter at sea!

I know the cruising experience has changed so much over the years...

... but I still really miss the lovely Indian buffet night they used to do on the Oriana many years ago. It was just once per cruise, and had to be booked in advance. There was a delicious array of dishes, the staff dressed up and they took a real pride in the food that was being served. Yum! 😀

• Like 1