Long Beach... and rain?

carohs

We get so little rain in socal that I hadn't really worried that we'd end up with unfavorable weather. Yet it flooded last week, it's sunny and clear and 71° today, and projected to rain again next week. What's the long beach terminal like, and should we allow for extra time for traffic given the rain? It's covered, right? Anyone ever sail out of long beach when it was raining? I know the captain knows what they're doing, and on previous cruises we've been able to sail around the weather. Is that still a thing on a 3N cruise? The weather doesn't tend to be drastically different in Ensenada vs Long Beach. What are the chances of sailing far out enough to see some sun? So many questions! SoCal is usually like, oh look rain, I'll just stay indoors for a few hours and it'll clear up soon. Now I'm actually planning on leaving my house in it, and it's totally got me in a loop. 

• Haha 1

We were on the Panorama (out of Long Beach) for Hurricane Kay.  All of our port stops were changed to different days (and we ended up skipping a port) but the captain managed to dodge the bad weather for a few days.  Unfortunately the last 3 days of the cruise were bad - very rocky seas, high winds, rain. Most of the outdoor decks were closed and pools were drained.

They will do the best they can to dodge bad weather/storms but with the Mexican Riviera there aren't a lot of options.

Regarding the terminal at Long Beach - yes it has a very large indoor space but they are typically pretty strict about not letting people into the terminal until their arrival appointment (you will see long lines outside divided up by arrival appointment).

• Like 2

We just dodged the rain when we boarded for the New Years cruise. We had the first arrival appointment but when we got there 15 minutes early the doors were open and they were letting everyone in. The rain stopped just before we got there so I think they opened early to get people out of the rain. There is a large covered area outside but the area in front of entrance is nor covered. Bring an umbrella and you should be fine. 

• Like 1

The port of Long Beach that carnival uses is pretty unique.  There is an outdoor “bridge” or gangway that connects the actual building to the ship.  We once embarked while it was raining and got fully drenched on that walk in.  If you see rain in the forecast, perhaps pick up some dollar store ponchos.

6 hours ago, Ranyw said:

The port of Long Beach that carnival uses is pretty unique.  There is an outdoor “bridge” or gangway that connects the actual building to the ship.  We once embarked while it was raining and got fully drenched on that walk in.  If you see rain in the forecast, perhaps pick up some dollar store ponchos.

The gangway is covered now but there is an open area leading up to the entrance to the terminal. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ranyw said:

Yikes!!

1 hour ago, LaRue1975 said:

The gangway is covered now but there is an open area leading up to the entrance to the terminal. 

Oh, phew. 

I have not boarded in Long Beach in the rain, but once you get admitted into the huge cavernous hall, you are covered. 

My concern would be traffic to the port -- as you know, drivers in So Cal cannot handle any bad weather.  So plan on lots of delays and fender benders!!  The parking structure is covered, but getting into it might be lots of fun [not].  

Have a great cruise!

• Like 1

From SD. Google says 2 hrs right now, planning on leaving 8:30-9am to avoid most of morning traffic yet have more than enough time to get there. And it should be more than enough time, mostly wondering how much patience to pack. 

On 1/30/2024 at 8:05 PM, vwrestler171 said:

While it is covered, the sides are still open.  

Oooh, curve ball! Okay np I'll bring a rain jacket. It's probably not a bad idea to have it anyway.