La Danza Restaurant San Juan

carribbound

Stopped by La Danza Restaurant for an appetizer and soda. Clearly I offended the waitress when I asked if they had guacamole and chips. She lashed at me that was NOT in Mexico and they don’t have guacamole. After she returned with out drinks, I asked if they had Corona Beer. She said yes. I said… but we’re not in Mexico. She argued with me saying it was an international beer and that they actually keep a tally of how many people ask for guacamole. She was rude and argumentative. Well, in Minnesota, you can get guacamole in an American food restaurant. It wasn’t that far fetched of a question. I don’t recommend this restaurant simply because of the service. 

Edited by carribbound

• carribbound changed the title to La Danza Restaurant San Juan

Please tell me you didn't order a burger. LOL

Most of the places in OSJ serve straight-up PR food (e.g., mofongo, empanadas, tostones). There are some specifically Mexican places in OSJ, though. Most non-ethnic US restaurants are unlike this in that there's few things that are distinctively "American," and they instead tend to serve a variety of things that are generally popular from whatever culture (e.g., Chili's, Cheese Cake Factory, or the corner pub might serve: spaghetti, pizza, fajitas, stir fry, coconut shrimp, and chicken piccata). Maybe a steakhouse or BBQ joint might be a kind of "American restaurant," and they have stereotypically limited menus from which you wouldn't expect much diversity.

Regardless, you are right that they could be nicer about this. The waitress might have simply said, "Sorry. We focus on Puerto Rican food here and that's not on our menu."

I love Latin food, but there are distinct regional variations. We're more exposed to the Mexican (and Tex-Mex) stuff in the US. Few places serve PR food. I'd never heard of Mofongo (and other dishes) before my first visit. As I understand it, PR, Cuba, and the Dominican Republic have similarities and overlap in their cuisine. I've learned to love their food and learned to cook several of the dishes. The food is one of the primary reasons I love to visit SJ, and OSJ is filled with excellent restaurants. The sangria is pretty awesome, too. :classic_biggrin: