Greenock/Glasgow with a stop in Cambuslang???

I’m not sure if this is even possible. But we will be stopping in Greenock on our cruise in June. I planned to do a tour of some kind in Glasgow, possibly even the hop on, hop off bus. I’d really love to be able to see the last place that my great-grandmother lived before she emigrated to the US in 1924. She lived in Cambuslang. I was looking at how to get there, and saw a bus (263) that I could take from Green St., near People’s Palace, to Bothwell St., just a minute’s walk to my destination. But the bus website, First Bus, is a bit confusing, and doesn’t show the stops that I saw on Google maps. Can anyone offer insight? Is this doable, or crazy to try? It just seems a shame to be so close, and not see where my family came from.

IMG_0628.jpeg

Edited by erinsmom03
Wrong streets

If google maps shows the routes then you can trust that to be accurate. FirstBus is a bit clunky (their app is terrible!) and recently renamed some of the stops in Bristol without telling anyone 🤷‍♀️

There's also the local train as an option which may be easier as you'd he arriving into Glasgow Central. Local trains are more consistent around Glasgow than buses anyway. 

It's really easy to get the train into Glasgow from Greenock cruise port, it's about 10mins walk, then 30mins train. Pay for the ticket at the office, orn the train, as it's barriers to exit in Glasgow. 

I don't know about tours vs. HoHo bus, but I would look up walking tour itineraries to see if the bus will actually get you anywhere near the bits you want to see! 

• Thanks 1

If you are getting the train to Cambuslang from Glasgow Central it will be the Lanark train. It’s around 10/15 mins to Cambuslang. Trains go half hourly. Think there will be a bit of a walk from the station to Bothwell St in Cambuslang. Please manage your expectations. This is my local train route into Glasgow and it is not the most scenic!

2 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

If you are getting the train to Cambuslang from Glasgow Central it will be the Lanark train. It’s around 10/15 mins to Cambuslang. Trains go half hourly. Think there will be a bit of a walk from the station to Bothwell St in Cambuslang. Please manage your expectations. This is my local train route into Glasgow and it is not the most scenic!

I'm pretty sure that we’ll take the shuttle bus from Greenock to Glasgow. Transfer to the hop on hop off bus. Take that tour, with a detour to Cambuslang from the People’s Palace stop. I still think the bus from that area will take us very close to where we need to go. I’m considering a taxi also. I honestly would just like to drive to the house and take a picture, then drive back to join the tour. So perhaps a taxi will be best? Are there a lot of Lyft or Uber cars available, or is a taxi a better option?

Plenty of Ubers available. Easiest place to get a taxi is probably outside Central Station. Not sure if there will be any around the People’s Palace. From experience you will get more chat/ local knowledge from a taxi driver than an Uber driver.  I’m hoping your great-grannie lived in one of the tenement buildings, that Glasgow is famous for. If so, the National Trust has a property called The Tenement House at Charing Cross, where you can experience what it was like to live in one.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Scottishclover said:

Plenty of Ubers available. Easiest place to get a taxi is probably outside Central Station. Not sure if there will be any around the People’s Palace. From experience you will get more chat/ local knowledge from a taxi driver than an Uber driver.  I’m hoping your great-grannie lived in one of the tenement buildings, that Glasgow is famous for. If so, the National Trust has a property called The Tenement House at Charing Cross, where you can experience what it was like to live in one.

Thank you for the info! I’m not sure if she lived in a tenement house. She lived at 8 Bothwell St in Cambuslang, in what I think is called a terraced house? I tried to attach a pic from Google maps street level view but it didn’t seem to work. 

@Scottishclover I think we will take a taxi from Glasgow Central to Cambuslang then back to George Square. Do you think the taxi drivers will be interested in that trip? How much should I be prepared to pay in fare? Do they take credit card payments or should I bring cash?

2 hours ago, erinsmom03 said:

@Scottishclover I think we will take a taxi from Glasgow Central to Cambuslang then back to George Square. Do you think the taxi drivers will be interested in that trip? How much should I be prepared to pay in fare? Do they take credit card payments or should I bring cash?

They take credit cards and I’m sure would gladly take the fare. Sorry I can’t even hazard a guess at how much it would be. When I’m in town I either walk or use the trains/subway. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Scottishclover said:

They take credit cards and I’m sure would gladly take the fare. Sorry I can’t even hazard a guess at how much it would be. When I’m in town I either walk or use the trains/subway. 

Thank you!