Question for travel agents

Sky Sweet

I will be the first to start: my favorite cruise line is NCL followed closely by Celebrity. I prefer these two for very different reasons, but they are not as different as you may think. All the mass marketed lines are similar. Do I recommend one line to my clients over another? Not on your life. I do ask questions and try to find out what the client really wants and needs. When asked which line I usually suggest what I think will work best for them. If I really think a line is a bad fit, I will say so which I did last Thanksgiving. My client didn't listen, did what she wanted, apparently had a terrible time and won't even speak too me. This is one reason I try to stay clear of recommendations, but I do want to help when I can. I had a client call me a few months ago, she knew she wanted Celebrity next fall, she knew she wanted a balcony and money is no real problem: the perfect client and would I ever recommend Carnival to her? NO WAY. I have another client that I just put on Carnival this summer. I gave them information on 2 lines, Carnival is what they choose: I think it's a perfect fit. As a TA my likes are not always what is best for my clients. NMnita

When reccomending, I intervue the client first. It's best to find out their likes and dislikes. It's good to ask what was your best vacation ever. That will give a feel as to what they may like.

No line is for everyone, but it does seem if you suggest and hit a hommer, that line becomes their favorite and they compare the other lines to it.

It just depends. Do they want to party, play bingo, be busy all day and night or rest quietly. I sold three cabins last minute to a family in March. The three sons were going along ages 18-22 but so was grandma, the parents, an aunt and friend. I thought Celebrity for the adults and gram but they liked Carnivals itinerary and action. Their logic being if the boys have fun everyone will be happy. So, Carnival it was and they had a great time. I didn't think it was the one to choose but people know what they want and you just have to listen.

If a client isn't as certain as these people it's not hard to figure out what will work for them. Plus depature port and other perameters narrow the choices considerably when all the customers needs are heard.

I find which cruiseline best matches their lifestyle.. so I ask question after question.

I had a call today from a first-timer. She told me it was her third call and I was the first to ask her any questions besides how many people and what date!

I find which cruiseline best matches their lifestyle.. so I ask question after question.

I had a call today from a first-timer. She told me it was her third call and I was the first to ask her any questions besides how many people and what date!

See, some of us are good agents huh, regardless of what we sometimes read on these boards about TAs. It looks like those of us who spend time reading CC and other sites know how to match client with vacation. NMNita

My personal favorite is Seabourn. The reasons for that are many from service to service to service to quality of food, suites, etc. BUT it is not my personal favorite for my family. That belongs to Celebrity, which I think has the most value for my family's money...usually. Regent (formerly Radisson) is up there as well.

For my clients, as other have said, it depends on what they are looking for in a cruise. Questions, questions and more questions. The number of times I hear, "I never thought of that." or "That line really offers X?". It is amazing to see how many client's favorite cruise lines wind up not being that once they experience a line that fits their desires better.

There are some lines that have exceptional sales and customer service and those are also my favorites. I know Celebrity has some hiccups, but I have found that overall it is pretty darn good.

Archived