Iona itinerary changes

We are on G435 (Oct half term) on Iona and they have just swapped out La Rochelle For Le Havre, the booby prize of European ports. Slightly annoyed but that's what happens with cruising. This may be the 3rd time I eye Le Havre with disdain from onboard the ship, or maybe we'll go crazy and actually get off this time.

Just thought I'd give anyone on a similar itinerary a heads up to go and check their cruise to see if it has changed. I am on a social media group for the cruise and that's the only way I found out as one person got an email- nobody else on the group got one!

I don’t blame you for being annoyed. There is no comparison between La Rochelle and Le Havre. This happened to us once on a TA, they cancelled Bermuda and replaced it with Le Havre. They immediately started pushing tours to Paris, many of our US fellow cruisers fell for it and were delighted to go to Paris. They weren’t so delighted after spending hours on a bus and about 2 hours actually in Paris. 

We've also recently seen on a social media site for our Nov. cruise G438 that our itinerary has been changed swapping Valencia for Cartagena but haven't had any notification from p&o about the change.

Not complaining though as we've been to Cartagena before and always said we'd like to return one day. 🙂

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, sandancer said:

I don’t blame you for being annoyed. There is no comparison between La Rochelle and Le Havre. This happened to us once on a TA, they cancelled Bermuda and replaced it with Le Havre. They immediately started pushing tours to Paris, many of our US fellow cruisers fell for it and were delighted to go to Paris. They weren’t so delighted after spending hours on a bus and about 2 hours actually in Paris. 

I would be absolutely spitting if I lost Bermuda for Le Havre! Oh heck no. I could most definitely get to Paris with less fuss from my own doorstep than Le Havre.

45 minutes ago, P&O SUE said:

That’s very disappointing, La Rochelle is gorgeous. 

If I were you I’d go to Honfleur, beautiful place, we stayed in a cottage near there a few years ago.

Thank you I'll look into it. We have a 4yr old so always need to find something he will enjoy as well as us.

18 minutes ago, Bartender1 said:

We've also recently seen on a social media site for our Nov. cruise G438 that our itinerary has been changed swapping Valencia for Cartagena but haven't had any notification from p&o about the change.

Not complaining though as we've been to Cartagena before and always said we'd like to return one day. 🙂

Even if you are happy with the change its really not on that they aren't letting people know. You might have booked a private tour for the port and need to know to cancel it. On our upcoming RC cruise they cancelled a port but let us know immediately.

6 minutes ago, SquishTheWhale said:

Even if you are happy with the change its really not on that they aren't letting people know. You might have booked a private tour for the port and need to know to cancel it. On our upcoming RC cruise they cancelled a port but let us know immediately.

Totally agree, had we not been part of the FB group we wouldn't know about the change. Communication with customers isn't one of p&o's strong points.

22 minutes ago, SquishTheWhale said:

I would be absolutely spitting if I lost Bermuda for Le Havre! Oh heck no. I could most definitely get to Paris with less fuss from my own doorstep than Le Havre.

Thank you I'll look into it. We have a 4yr old so always need to find something he will enjoy as well as us.

Re your child, we went to some sort of flower/greenhouse at Honfleur that had loads of butterflies flying round, my son was about 16 at the time but he enjoyed watching them!

Edited by P&O SUE
  • Thanks 1