Queen's Grill upgrades on QM2 and Q3s

Wagtail adventures

I recently booked a winter transatlantic crossing on QM2 in a Q5 direct through Cunard. The booking consultant suggested marking our booking as upgradable in case the upgrade gods smile on us, and we agreed, although we are happy with what we booked and not expecting anything.

It did get me thinking though, about the Q3s, which have no balcony and are far forward which is worse for motion. In this case we would think ourselves very lucky for any upgrade, including Q3 because we could sacrifice the balcony (reluctantly) on a cold winter crossing for the other benefits of these suites. However, what about for fair weather voyages? It strikes me that losing the balcony would be most undesirable, so in effect it makes marking a Q4/5/6/7 booking as upgradable would be risky. If the choice is this stark - and if you are upgraded to Q3 you have no choice but to accept - I personally would not mark my booking as upgradable. 

Does anyone have any thoughts about this? Or indeed has it happened to anyone? Is there anything that can be done if you are 'lucky' enough to be upgraded to Q3 or is that the risk one takes? I imagine I am not the only one to have had this conundrum. Thanks all.

On QM2 we always say no upgrade, simply out of fear of a Q3. As well as no balcony, you have to have your blinds down when it gets dark, which I would hate. Having said that, years ago, I didn’t think about it, and we were upgraded - from a P1 to a Q5. Phew!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, NE John said:

A You Tuber stated that he heard the foghorn strongly on Q3 on QM2. That foghorn is usually very active on TA’s. 

I always enjoy lying in bed and being able to hear the foghorn, but only if it is reasonably muffled, so I can drift off to sleep while it is sounding.