PADI Scuba Onboard?

kyak

Has anyone done the PADI scuba certification onboard the RCI? I am interested in doing it, but would like to get some input from others who have done it with RCI.

Hi, Kyak - you may want to also post your question on the SCUBA Boards, and also search to see whether it may have been answered previously.

Good luck - diving is a window into a whole new world - you'll love it!:D

Well, up to you but my DH is a master Scuba diver and he said he would never do it, or recommend doing it. He stated that the classes that he helps to teach are weeks long and that the PADI class only teaches you enough to get in trouble. It does not focus enough on the possibilities of what may go wrong and what to do if it does.

He teaches through NAUI, you may want to inquire on the SCUBA board as the pp said.

~Jen

There is no such thing as "fast track" scuba certification. I say that as a retired PADI Open Water Scuba Instructor.

Looking forward to boarding the Spendour of the Seas Thursday the 23nd.

I will report back with journal notes from my first cruise.

As a PADI basic open water diver and former uncertified Florida cave diver (in my half drunken, St Leo college days) I would not recommend it. PADI open water is a respected certification, but you will not learn all you need to know in 2 days. They'll rush you and certify you and you'll be ready for 85% of what you'll encounter as a basic open water diver, but you'll certainly forget things, things that could be crucial to your safety on future dives. Could you do it? Yes and you would probably be fine in the structured environment of the RCI dive, However, on your next dive because you're certified you'll think you're actually good enough and you won't be, that's the danger. Whatever you do, be safe and always follow the buddy system. Sorry to sound like a buzz kill, but if possible do the PADI before the cruise on weekends, that way you'll get more out of it. Then dive on the cruise. Have a great cruise either way.

Thanks for your input, everyone! I think i will play it safe and get certified locally so I will know everything I need to do, and I look foward to going and diving in the future!

Well to begin with, it's not a PADI O/W course! It's a PADI Scuba Diver course (Resort Course). Which means after you are certified you can dive but only with a dive master, and I think, but I could be wrong, only down to 45'!

We went on a cruise 3 yrs ago, and the friend of mine with us wanted to take up diving! I had been a diver in the army back in the early 80's but then had become a pilot, and the military frowns upon it's pilots diving due to the being grounded till getting an up slip from the flight surgeon! So I hadn't dove in over 10yrs! So RCCI wanted me to take a refresher course they offered for alot more then locally, so looking into it, we decided the best bet was a Discover Scuba excursion where I could get a supervised dive in, and he could try it out to see if it was something he really wanted to do. We then talked our wives into joining us, including my wife that had a deep fear of water after being in a very bad Jetski accident when she was in her early 20's! Well long story short, they all fell in love with it, and have since all gotten certified, including our kids (ours ages 11 and 16 when they did there o/w) and we have been on over 50 dives all over the caribbean!!

The Discover Scuba might be something you might want to consider!

And as another person said!! It's another whole world with sights that you'll never get to see any other way!!

I have done it aboard ship but I would not recommend it. To do it in the amount of time allocated has to be very rushed. Also, would one really want to have to study while on a cruise and have to be at the pool at a certain time etc.?

I think it would be much better to take care of the certification before the cruise.

On cruises in 2004 and 2005 my family of four (two teenage boys) along with some freinds participated in and completed the scuba diver and open water PADI certification.

While it was recommendaed to us to enroll in a local program in our community, our schedules would not allow us to do it as a family. So we opted to do it during our cruise. Except for lost "fun and free time" during the cruise, we were completely satisfied with our decision, the instruction and staff. We would do it again onboard.

We are confident in our training. NO SHORT-CUTS were taken. The Dive Shop staff (V.O.S., E.O.S.) were excellent.There were students in our classes who did not complete the program/not certified. The equipment was very good. We have dove many times since and we continue to receive praise from hired tour guides/master divers on our preparation and skills.

So for us, it was a good option. We would do it again. I hope this provides another perspective to what has already been posted.

Happy cruising...

When you do the On-Board Program, you have the option of doing the initial certification, "scuba diver" which allows you to rent/buy equipment and dive with a master diver and then adding the the "open water" certification (additiona instruction) which allows you to dive on your own.

As a part of the initial "scuba diver" certification you will do two dives in one port. The first dive is the "open water" portion of the certification with your Ship Instructor, that is, demonstrating competencies of the scuba skills. The second dive will also be with your Ship Instructor but it is a recreational dive, that is, no instruction, just enjoying the underwater experience.

We did our certification - scuba diver and open water - over the course of two cruises. I assume if you do it all on one cruise, you will dive with your Instructor in a second port.

As noted in an earlier post, you will have some early morning pool work as well as reading and studying to do your first couple days of the cruise (as well as a written examination).

Archived