Ensenada Pharmacies

waterlyric

This is really just out of sheer curiosity, but can you really just purchase prescription drugs over there, without a prescription? I know, I know, another clueless newbie asking lame questions, but I really am just so fascinated in this. Can anyone be sure that they're getting the drugs they think they're getting?? I mean quality-wise, it just doesn't seem all that safe to me. I could be wrong though! Has anyone here bought them?

I know that many people from AZ. and CA. cross the border daily to purchase from the pharmacies in Mexico. I have read of some instances where the purchase of controlled items can be an issue and that the border towns are not making them readily available. Quality should not be an issue if you are in fact buying from a pharmacy.

When in Puerto Vallarta I bought 600mg Ibuprofin and it was great.

About as good as taking three standard 200mg tablets? :confused:

You certainly can buy many drugs that are available only by presecription in the states - codine, for example. But only a few "controlled" medications (like Dex or Oxycontin) are likely available.

This is really just out of sheer curiosity, but can you really just purchase prescription drugs over there, without a prescription? I know, I know, another clueless newbie asking lame questions, but I really am just so fascinated in this. Can anyone be sure that they're getting the drugs they think they're getting?? I mean quality-wise, it just doesn't seem all that safe to me. I could be wrong though! Has anyone here bought them?

From someone who knows a little about this, I can tell you that you pay your money......and take your chances. There is no way you can guarantee that what you want is in those boxes. Be Careful!

About as good as taking three standard 200mg tablets? :confused:

Not quite. I was prescribed 600mg once, and my doctor told me that they disolve quicker in the blood stream, and they last longer. There are differences. A close friend of mine is a pharmacist and confirmed this as well.

Not quite. I was prescribed 600mg once, and my doctor told me that they disolve quicker in the blood stream, and they last longer. There are differences. A close friend of mine is a pharmacist and confirmed this as well.

There are very few physicians who are drug development scientists. I can tell you with 100% certainty that 3X200mg tablets are clinically EXACTLY THE SAME as 1X600mg tablet.

What happens, is the drug company develops a sales pitch for their product which is meaningless in a clinical setting. OK, the 600mg tablet may dissolve in 2 minutes while the 3X200mg tablets may take 2 minutes and 5 seconds. (The reality of the situation is that there is more surface area in the 3X200mg tablets and they dissolve much faster. However, this is how the sales pitches are developed and passed to the doctor, who believes them and passes this on to the patient, who believes them becuase that is what the doctor said and he is a doctor so he must be corrrect.

Sadly, most physicians know diddly squat about the products they prescribe, and this is one example of hundreds. They listen to the sales pitch of the sales rep, and then repeat that to their patients.

Sorry, but this subject is a sore topic with me. I don't mean to hop all over you FitzLA and we have certainly met here in a number of other threads and I like your take on things. This is something that I know a lot about and it hurts when physicians don't get it right. It's a lot like when the doctor prescribes antibiotics to treat a viral infection......IT DOES NO GOOD, and over the long haul has negative effects.

OK, off my soap box.

It's illegal to bring the drugs back into the country if you don't have a prescription or "proof of use" (previous prescription bottle within a year old). People are getting busted all the time going over the border and doing this in Canada. I wouldn't risk it.

We are going to St. Martin in a couple weeks and I'll get my Differin prescription filled down there. It's a cream for acne that costs $120 a tube here ($15 there). I have a valid prescription so I won't have a problem. I also don't worry about face creams not being quite the same, but I wouldn't risk getting heart medication or antibiotics. You just don't know what's really in there.

My husband spent several weeks in Ensenada during January of this year. At the seafront near the cruise ship berths, there are hundreds of store front pharmacies that claim to sell anything and everything without a prescription. The locals who advised my husband stated that most of the drugs available at these store front pharmacies were either outdated or conterfiet. Under Mexican law a prescription from a Mexican doctor is required for all drugs that could be abused. These store fronts sell mostly ***** and antibiotics. My husband went to the pharamcy at the Costco, a short taxi ride from cruise ship pier where he was able to purchase the drugs recommeded by the pharmacist for a case of broncitis.

All the meds in Mexico are the same as in the USA. I have a friend that works for Illy in Mexico and she said it's the same medication as the US, and everywhere in the world. Mexico and Canada don't ask for perscriptions. So buy, buy, buy and bring cash!:p Cause they don't take Visa. BTW, my sister who has no medical insurance because she is self employed, goes to Tijiana to buy antibiotics for her kids. She lives in Los Angeles and it's a 3 hour drive south to get meds, have lunch, walk around and shop and go home.:)

So if I bring three empty bottles of meds, they will fill them? I always just went to the pharmacy and asked for what I wanted from the back shelf. Please reply. TIA

Take you medicine bottle with you and fill it with the same drug as on the bottle, i save 3 bottles (thats the limit) and buy the same meds and fill the bottles, i live in California and go over the border because it is so much cheaper than my med cost her in the states.

I can’t tell you how many times I have gone into TJ and Ensenada, but when it comes to drugs I will look into shipping from Canada anytime. Most of the time you will get away with it but depending on what you are trying to bring back .01% will go through a living hell. This is not the US. Extortion is everywhere and can happen at any time. The police and Federalize are fully involved. I have been hit twice. Once going to the TJ airport and once coming back to the border. They know where you are going and they know you are under time limits. Mine was only for traffic fines (which I didn’t do and they tried to take my vehicle) but I have had other friends that have gone through it for prescription drugs. You have to get a prescription from a Mexican doctor to legally get a prescription. I go on a cruise to have a good time. The last thing I want is a problem with Mexican officials. Just my own opinion. :(

Archived