what cruise would you pick?

karenj4546

My husband and I are looking for a cruise for our 25th anniversary. We’ve been on NCL and Carnival and want something better….much better. Our last trip was with NCL and we were hoping that by getting the owners suite, we’d have some of our “high end expectations” met. It wasn’t so.

We’re not super particular as to where we go, though we love WARM. Snorkeling and water sports are highly appealing.

Been to the Caribbean, but would go again.

Our time frame is September-October 06.

I have done some research and thought that Celebrity/Panama canal might meet our needs, but after spending time on the boards, am now questioning that as it's sounding very mass (market, size, atmosphere....fill in the blank).

We want quieter than Carnival. Smaller than either NCL or Carnival. A room with a balcony. Great food. Drinks…..maybe a room refrigerator. Nice, but not “stuffy” people. Dressing for dinner is okay, but I don’t want to go “formal” more than once or twice. Kids won’t be with us, and I do NOT want to be assigned a table with kids! (as in our first cruise ever….left the kids at home, went to dinner and found 2 kids at our late-seating dinner and a maitre’d who was not inclined to move us).

So…..what would YOU do? Which cruise line/location would you pick if money wasn’t a big object (into this, you can read "no garden villa"), you wanted to avoid huge lines, you want sun and fun but no “hairy chest” contest? We could probably get away with up to 3 weeks….if I am prepared for kids who won’t speak to me for weeks after (Hey, now THAT sounds like a plan!)

Any ideas are better than where I’m stuck, right now!

Thanks!!!

Well,

If it weren't for your comment about Celebrity my reccomendation would have been Celebrity or HAL. Both similar demographics, somewhat older than NCL or Carnival, "Traditional" dining, not over run with kids. I'm not sure what you mean about no "Garden Villa".

I guess you should check out Crystal, Seabourn, RSSC and SeaDream.

I'm with Kurt, I was thinking Celebrity, but ships are still on the large side. If you want something smaller and more intimate, you have to go with Regents (ex Radisson), Crystal or Seabourn. Now, for something really different, look at Windstar. The largest of them hosts 300 passengers, informal atmosphere, luxury oriented, so you won't see many kids (if at all)...

Regards,

Enrique

I have been on celebrity before. Even tho their ships are large they maintain the smaller intamate ship feel. I really liked it a lot. There were kids but not little kids more along the lines of 16 to 20, so you wont see little kids. Also HAL is a great line for what you are looking for too.

Jonathan

Thanks for helping out!

Celebrity and HAL are at the top of my list, until I started reading some of the boards. Guess that it all depends on what you're looking for. And yes, there will always be whiners.

By "Garden Villa", I was referring to an article about "best ships for romance" and NCL's Garden Villa was #1. (At "only" $12,000 p/p for a week long trip). Guess I was qualifying that that price is out of our budget, but then NCL isn't even in the top 10 of cruise lines I want to use.

Thanks,

Karen

Go with Celebrity. The panama trip is supposed to be great and the M class is a great size but not crowded--the food is excellent-the crowd is less likely to have small children and the atmosphere is classy and not as snobby as some of the real luxury lines. You can get a pricey room that comes with a butler on Celebrity or you can get an oceanview so that is up to you but your money will go further on X and you'll be happpy

I can tell you that any long trip (which the Panama Canal trips are long) will not have many kids, if any at all. I went at the end of February, beginning of Spring Break time, on Royal Caribbean, big family line, and there were very few kids.

I definitely think Celebrity (or HAL) would be a great choice for what you are looking for. Big ships doesn't necessarily mean more people. They just have more space for people to spread out in.

Why don't you look at what Oceania has to offer, it sounds like it would fit a lot of your criteria. I don't know what there itineraries are for that time frame.

They have no formal nights, smaller ships, not as pricey as the luxury lines. Everyone I've met, in person or on this board has said good things about this line.

You may want to avoid the Panama Canal/Caribbean during hurricane season - September/October. How about the Island Princess to Hawaii - that's what I want to do next and September/October is usually a great time to go there.

I suggest that you consider the Tahitian Princess. These are ten day sailings during the time period you are looking.

The ship is beautiful. It one of the smaller Renaissance ships that Princess purchased and has some suites with balconies and refrigerators. All rooms get robes and fruit bowls, but the suites and minisuites have some additional perks (although no butlers on Princess)

Princess has personal choice dining which means you could choose the traditional dining option or you could choose Anytime dining that is very much like the NCL freestyle, although usually you can make a standing reservation for the same table/time if you prefer. You can request a table for two in the traditional dining, but it is a request, not a guaranteed table assignment. But the Anytime dining you can eat with just the two of you or with others, depending on what you want that night. IMO Celebrity food is better, but Princess food is quite good. And there is also speciality dining for a fee and a romantic balcony dinner you can purchase.

While there is a possibility of children on the sailing, it is very unlikely as there is no children's program and I doubt that few, if any, parents will pay for their children's airfare to Taiti and the cruise.

We sailed on this ship when it was owned by Renissiance--a ten day Tahiti cruise--and it was fantastic. If you like warmth, beautiful scenery and snorkeling, you've found paradise.

You could also get a pre-cruise or post-cruise stay at one of those over water bunalow hotels.

If you have any questions or would like more information, since we have sailed on the ship in Taiti, I would be happy to give you more information or answer questions, including stateroom recommendations. Just email me at kacruiser@ev1.net.

Many thanks to all of you for your ideas!!!!

Oceana seems pretty popular, as all sailings (that look good to me) are sold out.

Hurricanes don't bother us....went through one on the "Sea" and the worst to be said about it was other people looking green. The best was that the hot tubs were empty that night!

Just spoke to DH (who loves to cruise, but does NOT like the planning) and he's really interested in the Tahitian Princess. It looks like a great choice (as he's wanting to take his parents on the Canal trip and I've totally vetoed their coming during our anniversary).

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your ideas!

Karen

Karen, I'm sure you and your DH will really enjoy Tahiti and cruising on the Tahitian Princess.

Because this is a former Renaissnce ship, the staterooms are a different than on the Princess built ships. There are some other tips I can give you too that can help you make decisions for your booking. So if you are interested in this information, please feel free to email me at kacruiser@ev1.net before you book.

I'd also be happy to answer questions about our cruise in Tahiti. We went snorkeling at every stop as well as some other activities in port including some shopping and a private picnic on a private motu.

I gotta second the notion of the Island Princess. It's a 15 day cruise to Hawaii, so most of the crowd is a bit older...ones who can afford to take 2 weeks straight off of work. I did it last year for my honeymoon. Not many people my age (low 30s) mostly in the 50 year old range. Recent retirees. The ship was excelent, and the staff/other guests were great to talk to.

And Hawaii isn't a place you get to go to much. We made (I think 5 stops) and even saw a lava flow. I liked being able to see all the different islands. The price to cruise there was about the same as flying out there and staying in a hotel.

Archived