Cruise line employees and commissions?

TMC

I recently requested brochures from several cruise lines. NCL followed up with an e-mail and a phone call from one of their reps, which was nice because I had a few questions. I am wondering if you book direct with the cruise line if the rep receives a commission. She has been very helpful, but I would like to consider using a travel agent if the price is better.

I have also heard of people who book with the cruise line and then transfer their ressie to an agent. How does the commission work in such a case?

I wouldn't feel right "giving away" someones commission...

Tammy

I doubt all cruiselines are the same...but Carnival PVPs do NOT work on commission. They work on incentives for promotions.

It would be most unfair for you to allow the cruiseline to do all the work in helping you book your cruise - and then turn it over to a TA who does nothing for you, but DOES receive commission?:(

So far the cruise line rep has only given me information about cabin size/quad occupancy options and the new itinerary for the Pearl. I will probably get a quote from a TA and compare it to NCL website, before asking an NCL rep to do any work on a quote.

We have booked several cruises on-board (NCL) and had the booking transferred to our TA. All the cruise rep did was talk to us and take our requests and down payment. Our TA did all the work such as getting our seats on the cruiseair flights, checking for price changes and upsells, etc.

Big Al is right. People book future cruises onboard and then transfer the bookings to their agents later to get a better price. Its an accepted practice and carries no negative stigma. Go with the best price and don't worry. ;)

Archived