Tour planning for Juneau

Brandis

We're a party of 5 and our ship arrives in Juneau at 9AM. I was thinking on exploring downtown in the morning, then getting a taxi to Gold Creek Salmon Bake. I contacted them and they recommend on showing up about 15min before the posted starting time of 11:00 in order to beat the rush when guests arrive by the provided transportation. Apparently no reservation is necessary and they accommodate walk up guests.

Then about 12:30 either going back by bus to the dock and get a taxi from there to Mendenhall or if that's possible, get a taxi directly from Gold Creek to Mendenhall. 

How long would you recommend for Mendenhall Glacier if we don't plan to do serious hiking, just enjoying the view a bit and tour the visitor center. How difficult would it be to get another taxi from there?

Finally, we would like to visit the salmon hatchery, their visitor center and then catch another taxi from there.

Keeping in mind that we probably would need a van for the 5 of us.

Would you recommend to pre-book all of this with a local taxi company or would this be feasible by just calling a taxi or Uber when we need it? If taxi, any recommendations?

How much should I expect to pay for this?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, Brandis said:

We're a party of 5 and our ship arrives in Juneau at 9AM. I was thinking on exploring downtown in the morning, then getting a taxi to Gold Creek Salmon Bake. I contacted them and they recommend on showing up about 15min before the posted starting time of 11:00 in order to beat the rush when guests arrive by the provided transportation. Apparently no reservation is necessary and they accommodate walk up guests.

Then about 12:30 either going back by bus to the dock and get a taxi from there to Mendenhall or if that's possible, get a taxi directly from Gold Creek to Mendenhall. 

How long would you recommend for Mendenhall Glacier if we don't plan to do serious hiking, just enjoying the view a bit and tour the visitor center. How difficult would it be to get another taxi from there?

Finally, we would like to visit the salmon hatchery, their visitor center and then catch another taxi from there.

Would you recommend to pre-book all of this with a local taxi company or would this be feasible by just calling a taxi or Uber when we need it? If taxi, any recommendations?

Thanks!

I would call and see about getting a taxi for the day. Why the salmon bake? It’s kind of an outdoor cafeteria.

If your day in Juneau is one with lots of large ships I would book ahead of time for taxis. You can find out by looking at the port schedule for the day you are in Juneau which will tell you which ships are docking and then do a little google search to find out how big each ship is.

5 hours ago, Brandis said:

Thanks!

WE rented a mini van..  Super easy for our group of 6. 

• Like 2