Skagway cruise terminal to airport

wsp2205

Our group will split up at the Skagway stop. Half will go on a small boat excursion, and the rest will like to explore Menddall glacier, but we don't want to spend $69/person on the transfer and be limited by how much time to spend there. So our current plan is to rent a car from airport. That will avoid having to walk 3 miles round trip by taking city bus. The cost of car rental is probably about the same as purchasing transfer, but we will have the car for the rest of day for whatever we might want to do. Just want to check if this is going to be a good idea? a few questions related to this setup: 1) what's the best way to get to & from airport? I saw there is a public bus or we can catch a taxi. Anyone knows how much a taxi might cost for a ride from cruise terminal to airport and vice versa. also is it easy to catch a taxi with so many people arriving at the same time from one or a few big cruise ships? 2). I read about permit running out in 2023. Will we be able to get permit to the glacier if we self drive? I don't know how this permit thing works to be able to tell if this self driving idea makes sense at all. thank you!

Edited by wsp2205

thank you! so if I can't easily get an uber or taxi from the cruise terminal, how easy/difficult is it to take the bus over the Juneau airport? I assume from the airport it may be easier to get a taxi/uber out. Looks like it's ~10miles on google map. Do you by any chance know roughly how much it's going to cost? Appreciate the help in planning!

12 minutes ago, wsp2205 said:

thank you! so if I can't easily get an uber or taxi from the cruise terminal, how easy/difficult is it to take the bus over the Juneau airport? I assume from the airport it may be easier to get a taxi/uber out. Looks like it's ~10miles on google map. Do you by any chance know roughly how much it's going to cost? Appreciate the help in planning!

There’s no cruise terminal in Juneau.  Ships are strung out along the waterfront at four docks.  If you are at the Franklin or AJ dock, there should be taxis hanging around.  If at the downtown docks you can wave one down or walk to the tram parking lot where some will hang out. No idea what the cost would be - maybe $25 or $30. The bus is a pain.  You have to walk to the downtown transit center and take the bus from there.  Last time I did that it took about an hour.  

If you’re looking for good halibut and chips go to the Sand Bar in the Valley.  Local dive bar.  Cheap and the beer is good.  

• Thanks 1