QM2 back in June at Pier 90

Cunard Cruiser

That means that if I leave my car at the terminal in NY when I depart June 9th on QM 2 that I will need to arrange transportation from Red Hook to the terminal when I arrive in NY on QM 2 July 3rd? How far is it between the two ports? I called a limo business today in Ny and they suggested leaving the car at the airport long term parking area and taking a limo to Red Hook. What do you think is the best idea? Thanks!

That means that if I leave my car at the terminal in NY when I depart June 9th on QM 2 that I will need to arrange transportation from Red Hook to the terminal when I arrive in NY on QM 2 July 3rd? How far is it between the two ports? I called a limo business today in Ny and they suggested leaving the car at the airport long term parking area and taking a limo to Red Hook. What do you think is the best idea? Thanks!

I realize you may not be able to trust the answer, but perhaps you could ask Cunard. Maybe they will disembark West Side, and proceed to Red Hook for embarkation? I doubt it, but stranger things have happened! Explain your delemma. At the very least they should give you transportation (Free!) to your car!

Karie,

Who would face the same problem if she were on that cruise!

You are flying in from Florida, and renting a car at the airport? Which airport?

Hi

In my opinion, it is much safer to leave your car at the NY terminal and then when you return take a taxi from Red Hook to the NY terminal. It should be about a $15-20 ride.

It should cost more than $15-20. And if you hit traffic coming up the West Side Highway or attempting to find a better way, this will make the fare higher.

I'm driving from West Palm Beach. That's why I need to leave the car. The limo co. suggested leaving it at the airport. A lady I teach with said her mom lives in Brooklyn and that I could leave it there but parked on the street. I really don't know what to do.

I started to answer, but confused over what you are doing?

Are you taking the QM2 both ways, to and from NY? Or are you flying back to the states?

If you are taking the QM2 both ways, then the airport sounds stupid.

Help us help you.

I'm leaving on QM 2 June 9th for England, then on the 12 day Med cruise on QM 2 on June 15th, returning to Southhampton on June 27th back to Ny on QM 2 arriving July 3rd. I'm driving my car leaving WPB June 7th. I'll stay somewhere in NJ June 8th and drive to whatever terminal on the 9th at about 1 or 2 PM. The lady at school said that that is the best time to drive in the city. I'll be gone 24 days. That's the problem.

I'm leaving on QM 2 June 9th for England, then on the 12 day Med cruise on QM 2 on June 15th, returning to Southhampton on June 27th back to Ny on QM 2 arriving July 3rd. I'm driving my car leaving WPB June 7th. I'll stay somewhere in NJ June 8th and drive to whatever terminal on the 9th at about 1 or 2 PM. The lady at school said that that is the best time to drive in the city. I'll be gone 24 days. That's the problem.
The New York Cruise terminals, whether Brooklyn or Manhattan charge the monthly fee for anything over 9 days. I think t is $180.00. I have no clue what the tazi or private car would cost to shuttle you form one to the other. Perhaps, the new parking garage will not be finished and they will run a ****tle bus. I would still plead your case with Cunard, since they promoted the 6-12-6 as "1 cruise" and are now faced with people having to disembark at a different terminal in the same city than they embarked from. (Let's not quibble about which borough- We're not talking Miami vs NY or even Miami vs Ft Laud- Which, BTW, they usually provide transfers to!)

Karie, who parked on the top floor open air parking lot at the Manhattan Cruise terminal during the 3Jan -15 Jan Panama cruise. And came back to find her tires frozen to the ground, and the walk between the two terminals icy, windy, and treacherous!

June 9th, you leave from Manhattan

July 3rd, you return to Red Hook(Brooklyn)

I don't think you want to be taking your car to Red Hook on June 9th since they basically will be closed (no ships in port). Double problem there. Trying to park and getting back to Manhattan. So that option is out.

I would then think about leaving your car in Manhattan (pier) and finding a way to get from Red Hook on July 3rd to Manhattan and get your car.

Fyi - Brooklyn parking is $18 per day or $180 per month

and Manhattan Pier is $25 and $180 per month. No idea if you could park someplace else. I would also guess that airport parking is even higher. You could check their websites. And of course you would need to get from the airport to Manhattan to leave, and then Red Hook to the airport when you return. Does not seem to make sense. Facts on Pier Parking here.

And, I assume there is some reason you are not flying to NY vs. driving. It would be way cheaper, and easier.

As said before, other than the cost and hassle of parking, Cunard probably will have some shuttle bus from Red Hook back to Manhattan for those folks that left cars over there. Check directly with them. And, if the person is stupid, call back and talk to somebody else. This Red Hook thing is all new to them.

A lady I teach with said her mom lives in Brooklyn and that I could leave it there but parked on the street. I really don't know what to do.

Dear Threadfin,

I would not leave your car on the street in Brooklyn as we have alternate street parking for street cleaning each week. Unless you trust someone to move or jockey your car, you will on your 24 days at sea rack up approx. 4-8 tickets by NYPD - Parking Enforcement Div. Alternate street takes place twice a week (once for each side) within the city unless a particular day is suspensed.

Not a good idea. I feel for your situation.

Regards,

ESLO

(Ed & Bev)

I'm driving from West Palm Beach. That's why I need to leave the car. The limo co. suggested leaving it at the airport. A lady I teach with said her mom lives in Brooklyn and that I could leave it there but parked on the street. I really don't know what to do.

Or they may tow your car and you will be out $300.00 and have to go to to a most inconvient place to retrieve it. Is her Mom willing to move the car for you back and forth?

The reason we aren't flying is that I provide scholarships at three universities through a trust that my wife and I have for four veterinarian students. I have to stop in Ga., NC, and Va. before coming to NY from West Palm Beach to board. I like to give the checks to the students in person rather than mailing. Our schools here are out June 1st for teachers so I will need to leave the day after I close my room down for the summer.

The street parking can't be done in Brooklyn I just found out because the lady is unable to move the car. I will hopefully hook up with a person in the know at Cunard and he or she will say, " Oh, we will take care of that for you."

And then, as the kids say, I'll be like," Yeah, you guys are tight!"

Thanks again to you all. What a wonderful group of cruisers! Thread

since you will be "blowing" $180 on parking in New York, have you looked into booking a rental car, one way. I know they kill ya sometimes on the drop off charges, but you never know.

Also, whenever renting a car, if you rent someplace besides through the airport, you save some $$. The airports all charge extra money for airport rentals, which is passed direct to the consumer.

since you will be "blowing" $180 on parking in New York, have you looked into booking a rental car, one way. I know they kill ya sometimes on the drop off charges, but you never know.

Also, whenever renting a car, if you rent someplace besides through the airport, you save some $$. The airports all charge extra money for airport rentals, which is passed direct to the consumer.

we have done this in the past $40 orlando one way to miami inc tank of gas for 7 seat van drop off at airport free shuttle to hotel then free shuttle next day to ship terminal 8 days later taxi to $ rental at mia airport and ret to orlando. really easy and under $100

Re; June 9th pier assignment. I would not worry too much about it yet. After all, they have their FIRST boarding in Brooklyn on April 15. Even if they give you the right, or wrong information today, it could change. Give it to early or Mid May and then check back. Actually, I would wait until later in May. Things just could change.

Hi all,

Just received our pre cruise pack for the June 9th crossing and it does outline that we are leaving from Brooklyn and gives the directions to the Brooklyn terminal. Not that I would be surprised if a fax found its way to our travel agent to the contrary at some point closer to the sailing date.

Archived