NCL Spasski River Valley & Wildlife Tour in Icy Strait Point

rnr4thatsme

Has anyone done this tour?   We are contemplating going August 9, 2025.  While I would love to see bears, any wildlife with a beautiful view would make me happy. I ask specifically about the one offered through the cruiseline so we could use our excursion credit towards the cost.

Edited by rnr4thatsme

I haven’t but I will say there are a lot of brown bears in the area of Icy Straight. I’ve been twice and bear had been spotted on the trail that morning up at the top of the gondola. There was fresh scat on the trail and let’s just say they love eating blueberries in September.

Bear can be hard to spot however in brush and there are no guarantees of spotting them but I’m sure you will not only see beautiful forests but also learn a lot about bears on the tour.

• Like 1

I’ve been on this tour through NCL (also had excursion credit to use up).  Note that the tour does NOT say a bear tour.  When we went, we did not see any wildlife (other than birds).  It was a lovely walk but don’t go expecting to see bears and count yourself lucky if you do see bears/wildlife.  Took a bus from the port, walked about a mile (both wooden board walk and dirt trails).  There were viewing sites overlooking the river (more like a creek). Not strenuous at all and it was nice gett8ng out of town. Would I do it again?  No.

We have been on several bear tours while in ISP— as with all wildlife tours, there are no guarantees!  On one trip, we saw about 10 bears, another saw none and one we saw more bears wandering around town than on the tour.

These days, in ISP, we just go with Glacier Winds on a whale watching tour.

• Thanks 1

We did this tour and it was a lovely walk, but no bears. We also did a private Bear excursion in ISP on another trip and no bears. So just go into it knowing there is no guarantee. 

Ironically, the two times we saw bears in ISP were on a whale watching trip and a canoe excursion where we spotted them on the shoreline. 

Glacier Wind is a fantastic vendor. Highly recommend!