Any suggestions on visiting the area in Montreal I referenced in this thread on the Canada / NE port forum?

OnTheJourney

On 2/16/2024 at 3:16 PM, OnTheJourney said:

What a great experience and memory for you! We recall having a clear view of the site from our docked cruise ship in 2015. It looks as if both public transport and local tours provide access to the park.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, JDincalif said:

What a great experience and memory for you!

Yeah, it was pretty heady stuff for an 11-year old. Besides my parents, my grandparents went along also. I think we were there for about a week. Since I was part of the entertainment corps, we had access to the VIP lounge, so that was pretty cool. I WISH I had some videos with sound of what I played. I couldn't tell you anymore. Solo guitar and vocals.

My grandfather's movie camera (like many back in the day), only did color video but no sound, so I have that, but would love to hear the music. I did like 3-4 shows a day, and the rest of the time we could explore. It was a pretty amazing world's fair. Quite innovative for it's time I believe.

What cruise was that when you could see the Parc? Presumably docked in Montreal. I really should make it a point to get back. I had bought several of the old "viewmaster" slides! Talk about retro! 😁 Come to think of it, no idea where any of that stuff is at this point.

Edited by OnTheJourney

1 hour ago, OnTheJourney said:

What cruise was that when you could see the Parc? Presumably docked in Montreal.

Montreal has been one of our favorite destinations. In May 2015 we embarked on a transatlantic voyage from Montreal to London on the Oceania Marina. In Montreal we stayed at the Auberge Bonaparte in the heart of the old city and within walking distance (admittedly down a few cobblestone streets) to the cruise port.

Always happy to discuss further; our email information is at the end of our signature.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, JDincalif said:

Always happy to discuss further; our email information is at the end of our signature.

Good to know, although I'm not able to find an email. I don't see a signature (?) No problem, though, at least for the present. With DW still in recovery mode, won't be doing any significant travel anytime soon, and will likely start out quite simply and not too far away when we do.

Interesting that one of your favorite destinations is nearly 3,000 miles from where you live!  I really don't recall anything of the city, nor was it likely that we saw much if any of it. Probably got the driving directions to where we needed to be for the Expo and didn't venture much beyond the confines of it. I have no recollection of any sort of hotel either.

While it was a unique experience and one I'm admittedly quite proud of, it sort of gets blurred due to how many 'gigs' I was doing back then. The music store where I took lessons used to send their better students all over the place, locally, to provide amateur entertainment for various functions. I suspect the Expo opportunity came about that way as well. Probably had to submit some sort of demo tape.

Out of curiosity I looked this up and was amazed to see that it's still being used. Did you see this in your visits there?  I remember, as a kid, thinking it was pretty amazing - the 'housing of the future' : https://www.mtl.org/en/experience/revolutionary-montreal-icon-habitat-67

We never tried Oceania. Used to get lots of brochures from them but I suppose they gave up on us after us not booking anything. Most of our cruising has been with RCL or Celebrity. First Viking was the Northern Lights. But that's all on my signature info.

Edited by OnTheJourney

13 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Good to know, although I'm not able to find an email. I don't see a signature (?) No problem, though, at least for the present. With DW still in recovery mode, won't be doing any significant travel anytime soon, and will likely start out quite simply and not too far away when we do.

If you're not seeing anyone's signatures, you can go to your Account Settings > Signature > then toggle the View Signatures? switch (it's just above the text box where you can edit your own signature). We're 

jdincalif [at] gmail [dot] com

Edited by JDincalif

33 minutes ago, JDincalif said:

If you're not seeing anyone's signatures,

Just checked...it's toggled to see them. So, for whatever reason yours doesn't show up on my browser. As you can see from the screen shot, I see the + quote but no signature. No usual "expand signature" to click on. Weird. This has me curious...so, on your end, do you see a signature on everybody's post? Like I said, for me, some have them and some don't.

Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 8.17.39 PM.png

Edited by OnTheJourney

16 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Just checked...it's toggled to see them. So, for whatever reason yours doesn't show up on my browser. As you can see from the screen shot, I see the + quote but no signature. No usual "expand signature" to click on. Weird. This has me curious...so, on your end, do you see a signature on everybody's post? Like I said, for me, some have them and some don't.

Screen Shot 2024-02-18 at 8.17.39 PM.png

Strange. We do see signatures on our Android devices so unsure what else to recommend.

If you want to contact us by email we can send you a copy of our signature - along with other conversation, of course!

1 hour ago, JDincalif said:

on our Android devices

Even more interesting. I usually access CC on my macbook. Rarely with my iPhone. Sure...I'd love to take a peek at your signature. I'm as nosey as the next person about other peoples' travel adventures! I went sorta crazy with mine, listing all the car trips. We really haven't done all that many cruises - only got into it starting in 2011.

Edited by OnTheJourney

4 minutes ago, OnTheJourney said:

Even more interesting. I usually access CC on my macbook. Rarely with my iPhone. Sure...I'd love to take a peek at your signature. I'm as nosey as the next person about other peoples' travel adventures! I went sorta crazy with mine, listing all the car trips. We really haven't done all that many cruises - only got into it starting in 2011.

We'll look forward to sharing with you by email.