Aix vs. Cassis - help me choose

Fergus

We're traveling on MSC Grandiosa this coming May, and have several choices in the port of Marseilles.  I'm 7 weeks out from having had a total knee replacement; I'm doing very well with recovery, but still wanting to get as much information as possible before I make a final choice so that I don't drastically over do it at our first stop!  The excursion description for Cassis says that a coach then a mini-train will get you to the town (I read somewhere that the coach has to let you out on a hilltop outside of town?), then you have a couple of hours on your own. The Aix excursion is a shorter coach ride, but includes about 1.5 hours of walking.  Has anyone done this excursion?  I'm looking for details on what the walking terrain is like (cobblestones, pavement?) and if there is shade and/or benches or other places to take a quick break during the tour?  If we were going to be there on a market day, I would have chosen the Aix excursion regardless of the walking, but we're not.  At either place, we just want to see the local area a bit - don't have big expectations for museums, etc. I would appreciate any input!  Thanks! 

Aix is mostly flat and the pavement is smooth. You can sit on the fountains, which are in every square, and park benches. Cezanne’s studio is uphill about 1km from the old town, but I doubt it’s included in your tour. There is a lot of history in the old town and hidden gems. 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2024 at 9:10 PM, Fergus said:

(I read somewhere that the coach has to let you out on a hilltop outside of town?)

In Cassis especially in high season, vehicles must use the parking area at the top of the town close to the train station. I expect you then transfer to the little tourist train.  I hope it would take pax back up to the train station to the coach for the return, otherwise it is quite a long uphill walk, or a public bus or a taxi from the harbour area, which is quite flat..Cassis itself isn't an awfully interesting small town with visitors mostly going there for boat trips of the calanques.

I personally would choose Aix which offers much more.

• Like 2