Short land excursion from Anchorage

mrsh8b

We are taking a cruise from Vancouver to Anchorage in June.  My husband and I are planning to stay an extra 5-7 days in Alaska.  I had planned to head towards Denali to spend some time there and then fly home from Anchorage but I’m reading that the road into Denali is closed and am wondering if we should a. Head in a different direction or b. Go to Denali but spend one night instead of 3.  We are interested in nature and history and have never been to Alaska or western Canada.  We may rent a car or travel by train.  Suggestions on that would also be appreciated.

1 hour ago, mrsh8b said:

We may rent a car or travel by train.  Suggestions on that would also be appreciated.

Past threads with info on suggestions from Anchorage here. Choose which to read.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q="seward highway"&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=33&updated_after=any&sortby=relevancy

Denali is not closed.  The park road from Mile 43 on is closed due to a landslide.  I would highly recommend a few days at the park taking the shuttle bus in and using your car to explore the area around the park.

I wonder if our OP is planning a trip in June 2024?  If so I hope they have reservations in place, and if they do have reservations in place for their land trip they may not be able to change.   The Explore Fairbanks CEO was the guest speaker at the Fairbanks Chamber of Commerce luncheon about two weeks ago.  I didn't attend the meeting but my understanding from the article published in our local newspaper is that bookings are very strong and Explore Fairbanks is anticipating an excellent summer tourist season.

The single road into Denali National Park is closed at mile 43 due to sloughing land.  Activities in the front part of the park would include a visit to the NPS sled dog kennels and visiting the visitor's center.  Mountain Vista is a lovely walk/hike and I do  enjoy the area around Teklanika.  But my favorite part of Denali is past mile 43.  Areas such as the Polychrome Overlook (mile 46), Toklat River Rest Area (mile 53), Stony Hill Overlook (mile 62) and the Eielson Visitor's Center (mile 66).

An alternative direction would be to visit Wrangell -- St. Elias National Park and Preserve.  Or stay on the Kenai Peninsula  to spend time around Seward before heading to Homer.