Changing money in Argentina

barante

During my two previous visits to Argentina, the fiscal situation was a mess. A black market in foreign currency thrived; I remember having been advised by my hotels reception to go to a nearby numismatic collectors' shop to change money.

I am soon going to Buenos Aires again. The country's economic situation is bleak. How does one change moolah these days?

2 hours ago, barante said:

...I am soon going to Buenos Aires again. The country's economic situation is bleak. How does one change moolah these days?

Was in BA last week and changed US$ the same way you have done in the past - "blue market" money changers on Florida Street. We relied upon credit cards as much as possible, but changed US$ for some small purchases. The exchange rate fluctuated from what it had been couple of weeks earlier indicating a slight strengthening of the ARS peso. We always check the online exchange rates from the Visa credit card site to get an idea of what is a good exchange rate. This Visa site is not the same as the official exchange rate. Blue market exchange rate was better than credit card rate.

Just got back from Buenos Aires. Just got cash from the ATM and used our credit cards as much as possible. The new president's devaluation of the Peso really evened out the exchange rates. Seems like credit card is a good way to go now. We only really got Pesos for the cabs. 

6 hours ago, PopsicleWalrus said:

Just got back from Buenos Aires. Just got cash from the ATM and used our credit cards as much as possible. The new president's devaluation of the Peso really evened out the exchange rates. Seems like credit card is a good way to go now. We only really got Pesos for the cabs. 

We never used cabs. We used Uber. It was cheap and easy. I don't speak Spanish, so Uber is much better for me than cabs.