Railway trail Somerset to Hamilton

rachelrae36

Good morning.  We have a great cruise plan for the end of Oct.  Hubby and I want to rent bicycles and ride part of the railway trail.  We were hoping to rent bicycles in either Dockyard or Somerset and then drop them off in Hamilton at the end of the day.  If not that’s not allowed I did see you can take them on the ferry. My question is can you ride from Dockyard or is it safer to take the bus to Somerset to rent bikes?  And I’m not sure how we would get them back from Dockyard to Somerset  where the ferry lands if we do that. 

Hope this isn’t’ too confusing and thanks for any tips about riding the trail, Its something we are really looking forward to.  

I rode from the dockyard a few years ago.  Brought the bike back on the ferry.  Make sure you get a good map.  The trail wasn't always well marked and some places it was the main road - often with no shoulder, you're riding along a wall.  Also hilly near the golf course. I probably felt safest riding down Front Street into Hamilton, the drivers gave me room.

Make sure you bring water (and a helmet).

• Like 1