Oceania Marina Tender Times/Info for April 23, 2024 Amalfi/Positano Port

macdanes

We’re doing the Oceania 10-day cruise aboard the Marina, stopping in Amalfi/Positano on April 23, 2024.  I’ve been told they use the “Positano Port”.

Unfortunately, all the Amalfi Tour Excursions through the cruise line are Sold Out! So, we will need to book an outside tour excursion company – and in order to do that I need to know what time the last tender heads back out to the ship, so I know when to make sure we return from our tour.

ANY INFO would be appreciated!

43 minutes ago, macdanes said:

We’re doing the Oceania 10-day cruise aboard the Marina, stopping in Amalfi/Positano on April 23, 2024.  I’ve been told they use the “Positano Port”.

Unfortunately, all the Amalfi Tour Excursions through the cruise line are Sold Out! So, we will need to book an outside tour excursion company – and in order to do that I need to know what time the last tender heads back out to the ship, so I know when to make sure we return from our tour.

ANY INFO would be appreciated!

You're more likely to get an accurate answer on the Oceania board, but in general I've found that most lines (including Oceania) schedule their last tender for one hour before departure unless it is an unusually long tender time (which it shouldn't be for Positano).

OK, my experience with Positano, we have been shut out a couple times due to weather and ended up in Naples.  I have no idea what the last tender might be and neither can anyone with any  accuracy because port stays can be adjusted for many reasons. Take your port departure time and back off an hour and 🙏
Amalfi is absolutely a beautiful port call and so much to see, be it up in Ravello and in Positano.  We got a private tour, be it Tours By Locals, Trip Advisor, Shore Excursions or others and see what you can put together. But you must be flexible. 

i have mentioned a number of times that a port call in Amalfi that was weathered out and the care our Concierge took to get us connected with our Private Tour provider, we had to be picked up in Naples instead of Positano, confirmed for me we were always going to be sailing Concierge Class or higher so we could get that extra level of service. 
Good luck with your planning and the cruise, it will be wonderful.

Mauibabes

That is hard to say because of weather.  I was on a Nautica cruise last August and we were supposed to tender in Amalfi/Positano and ended up tendering quite a bit further away.  We were on an Oceania excursion and if we had tendered where we scheduled to it would have been a 30-minute drive instead of 90 minutes that it ended up being.  Weather and sea conditions are going to dictate it.  I don't know when the last tender is going to be but I would allow plenty of time. 

1 hour ago, macdanes said:

We’re doing the Oceania 10-day cruise aboard the Marina, stopping in Amalfi/Positano on April 23, 2024.  I’ve been told they use the “Positano Port”.

We were scheduled into Amalfi / Positano late last year.

A couple of days before hand, they announced docking now at Salerno due poor weather forecast.

As you are heading in that direction on your cruise, that would be my poor weather back up plan.

As far as Amalfi vs Positano, I was planning on the tender being to Amalfi.

Positano has all sorts of logistical problems due to lack of close road access.

Of course we never found out due to the poor weather.

Look at the ship's tours on your cruise.

On ours it had a ferry trip from Amalfi to Positano and return to Amalfi.

Another reason I believed that Amalfi was the plan.

The road is subject to a lot of traffic on the narrow winding road.

Allow lots of time for your return to the tender pier.

20 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

So, we will need to book an outside tour excursion company

Will you actually need to take a tour?  Some places along that coast can be reached using ferries from Positano. Examples would include  Amalfi, Capri, Sorrento and Naples. The roads can be extremely busy causing delays, also public buses, and using ferries would avoid that.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Will you actually need to take a tour?  Some places along that coast can be reached using ferries from Positano. Examples would include  Amalfi, Capri, Sorrento and Naples. The roads can be extremely busy causing delays, also public buses, and using ferries would avoid that.

I am not the person you quoted the above -- that was the author of the thread, @macdanes.  I am tagging them here so they will see this info.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I am not the person you quoted the above -

Mea culpa  A senior moment!

I accidentally  copied the quote from your copy of the quote instead of the original one by macdanes.☹️

spent a week on that coast a while back.  its not just that the coast road is busy, its also terrifying.  it was built in the 18 th century for carriages. so there is no possibility for two tour buses to pass each other. the local authorities employ traffic managers at the narrow sections to sort out the traffic chaos and after they go home in the evening it is a riot of arguments and horns blaring. 

Having said that, the area is absolutely beautiful, Positano delightful, and dont forget to sample the Limoncello.

btw also, I dont know, but I would check exactly where the ship is tendering.  When we were there we saw several cruise ships,  arrivals visible from our hotel, and they all tendered into Amalfi. 

• Like 1