New Exclusive HAL Bourbon

Buffalo Trace was plentiful on Eurodam this month. The bartenders in Ocean Bar didn’t know anything about the new barrel being offered but told me they use BT in the Manhattans they made in the bar.

It was only $9 a shot on Eurodam so it was covered by the drink package too. 

Any time any distillery decides "We'll call this barrel special" no matter if it is just another keg of their spirit, Suddenly it is "rare and delightful" with all sorts of hints and nuances that really don't exist, except in the minds of the marketers and those who have to believe it's better because they just paid $50.00 a shot for it.

24 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Any time any distillery decides "We'll call this barrel special" no matter if it is just another keg of their spirit, Suddenly it is "rare and delightful" with all sorts of hints and nuances that really don't exist, except in the minds of the marketers and those who have to believe it's better because they just paid $50.00 a shot for it.

mostly i'd agree. but there are some really great limited edition whiskeys. and the only way to know is to try them. 
That said, if standard BT is going for $9 an ounce, there's no way a limited edition one will be under $15

1 hour ago, bobomonkeyrage said:

mostly i'd agree. but there are some really great limited edition whiskeys. and the only way to know is to try them. 
That said, if standard BT is going for $9 an ounce, there's no way a limited edition one will be under $15

I have to say if this is one barrel for the whole fleet then think along the lines of a limited edition bottle available on board for say $200.00 (more if they think they can get it) It will come in a magnificent box and special HAL label for people to display at home with there Delft tiles and HAL medallions. If by chance you find any of this special barrel in a bar on any HAL ship, you aren't getting it for $15.00. I live in a city that hosts a very prestigious Whiskey festival every year and some of the spirits on offer are eye wateringly expensive, yet people cough up the money, and display the bottle in their "collection". Never to be opened and never exposed for the ordinary thing that it is.

This is from the Ocean Bar menu posted on https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Ocean-Bar-Menu-2024.pdf

HAL Single Barrel Select Bourbon by Buffalo Trace neat or on the rocks $15

HAL Single Barrel Select Old Fashioned
HAL Single Barrel Select Bourbon, Angostura bitters. sugar, orange and lemon twist

Originally called the whiskey cocktail, this drink is arguably one
of the oldest on record. In the late 1800's alternative ingredients, beyond the classic, bourbon, bitters, sugar and water were introduced to glass; making way for new concoctions like the Manhattan and the Martini. Some imbibers, longing for the more traditional preparation would order a Whiskey Cocktail, made the Old Fashioned way, hence its modern name.  $18

Edited by Ready2go11
  • Thanks 1

My husband drinks Buffalo Trace which was available at every bar on the Oosterdam last month.  He was excited to see the single barrel BT on the Ocean Bar menu and eager to try it.  When he ordered it he was told they did not have it in stock.  Without giving a direct answer, the bartender seemed to imply that it had never been in stock.🤷‍♀️

9 minutes ago, Ready2go11 said:

This is from the Ocean Bar menu posted on https://rogerjett-photography.com/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Ocean-Bar-Menu-2024.pdf

HAL Single Barrel Select Bourbon by Buffalo Trace neat or on the rocks $15

HAL Single Barrel Select Old Fashioned
HAL Single Barrel Select Bourbon, Angostura bitters. sugar, orange and lemon twist

Originally called the whiskey cocktail, this drink is arguably one
of the oldest on record. In the late 1800's alternative ingredients, beyond the classic, bourbon, bitters, sugar and water were introduced to glass; making way for new concoctions like the Manhattan and the Martini. Some imbibers, longing for the more traditional preparation would order a Whiskey Cocktail, made the Old Fashioned way, hence its modern name.  $18

Thank you for the information. It would seem that the marketers weren't able to spin this barrel into the magic elixir they hoped, and the price reflects that failure.

Not sure why it was added to the menu if not available yet as 0106 saw on the Oosterdam in February. 

The press release says it will not be available until March and will last until supplies are gone.

So perhaps still a chance for some to try…hopefully including me since I sail in early April. 

47 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Thank you for the information. It would seem that the marketers weren't able to spin this barrel into the magic elixir they hoped, and the price reflects that failure.

or perhaps your cynical, judgmental take on this was simply wrong...
if you don't want to drink it, no one is making you. why yuck someone else's yum?

FWIW, the bourbon selection on the Nieuw Statendam was pretty decent. My go to is Maker's Mark because I like the rye free mash bill. It's also really easy to spot on the back bar. And it's 90 proof. And it has the handy red, easy grip neck - helpful because it's 90 proof.

Anyway...

The bartenders and servers on the Nieuw Statendam were great, often suggesting other bourbons to try. We had the Elite Beverage Package, which opened up more opportunities.

If you haven't used this, it's a handy mash bill comparison tool.

https://modernthirst.com/home/bourbon-whiskey-mash-bills/

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, bobomonkeyrage said:

or perhaps your cynical, judgmental take on this was simply wrong...
if you don't want to drink it, no one is making you. why yuck someone else's yum?

Cynical? yes, judgmental? no. Except for the marketing bunch who's only job is to inflate the price of everything they are involved in.

Just now, POA1 said:

It's also really easy to spot on the back bar. And it's 90 proof. And it has the handy red, easy grip neck - helpful because it's 90 proof.

hahahaha! very helpful indeed!
I'm a big fan of rye myself, but a nice glass of maker's goes down great!

8 hours ago, bobomonkeyrage said:

hahahaha! very helpful indeed!
I'm a big fan of rye myself, but a nice glass of maker's goes down great!

For reasons completely unknown to me, whiskey with a high rye content gives me a red, flushed face. I assume it's some sort of histamine response. Neither rye bread or pumpernickel cause the reaction, only rye whiskey.

I won't shy away from rye, but it definitely makes it look like I'm getting my glow on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

For reasons completely unknown to me, whiskey with a high rye content gives me a red, flushed face. I assume it's some sort of histamine response. Neither rye bread or pumpernickel cause the reaction, only rye whiskey.

I won't shy away from rye, but it definitely makes it look like I'm getting my glow on.

interesting. I've never heard of that. strange that it would be only whisky that does it to you. 
Nothing wrong with a little glow... especially on holiday!

Barrel Picks aren't necessarily better than the main brand, but they are different and therefore more interesting. Whiskeys are blended so you can get the same whiskey over and over again, and that leads to some level of blandness and homogeneity. A single barrel can have different and perhaps stronger characteristics than the parent brand. Which isn't necessarily a good thing. So you are paying a premium for rarity, not quality. But whiskey nerds will happily pay for that!

12 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Comparing to the prices for the scotches further down the menu, they definitely are charging a premium for this. Not Pappy prices, but this was never going to be that. This is along the same bump I'd expect to see for a barrel pick in a liquor store. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1