Peru pre-cruise land tour

Goldenrosebags

We recently completed a 1-week DIY trip to Cusco and Machu Picchu. I don't know anything specifically about Princess's tour. But here are a couple of things learned about MP and Cusco.

MP is NOT a dress-up kind of place. Most people are dressed for hiking and heavy walks. You will not need to dress up at all, anywhere, anytime. Wear practical clothes for walking outdoor in cool and rainy weather. Then the sun comes out and you are warm. Have a backpack where you can keep a rain-jacket and other layers you take off during the sunny times.

The weather in Cusco and MP will be very cool. MP is in a cloud forest, which means it can rain at any time. Be prepared for rain which means bring a good rain jacket or buy one of those disposable rain ponchos that are sold by every street vendor. Bring shoes that can get wet and have good traction. Don't be discouraged if it rains - it can be sunny 30 minutes later. The weather changes real fast.

Beware of the altitude. Cusco  (11,000 to 12,000 feet) is about the same elevation as Leadville, CO. Being from Colorado, you'll be better off than someone who lives near sea-level.

We had zero issues with bugs at MP (Iguazu falls is another story!!!). 

Here was our first view of MP.  This was after walking uphill, from the bus stop, for about 20 minutes. It started raining about 20 minutes later and did not stop. We returned the next morning and it was mostly sunny.

DSD06578_Radiant.thumb.jpg.d5fdb0d72e4f31946d1d2ac06ae1e604.jpg

I wonder how a cruise-line tour does MP, given that many folks on cruise line tours are physically unfit for this kind of walking. This isn't a drive-by bus tour kind of place. 

We found a wonderful restaurant in Cusco on the main square: Mistura Grill Cusco. It was so good, we went twice. The prices are about 1/2 to 1/3 what I would expect to pay for a restaurant of this caliber. Our dinner for two was $35!

https://maps.app.goo.gl/2wTa6tC9MnsCwKuz7

We got a window table overlooking the square. I've redacted our friends, who are in the Witness Protection Program. (Actually, I have not taken the time to ask if they mind being posted on social media.) We had trout, stuffed chicken, and alpaca pepper steak. All were wonderful.

This place is so good, I'd skip a Princess tour meal to go here.

MisturaGrillCuscoredacted.thumb.jpg.d499c3d38e9ad12032c3bf4989acc406.jpg