Millennium Schedule Disruption?

CaribbeanBound

First, our sympathy and condolences go out to the families of the passengers involved in the accident.

How will this impact upcoming cruises?

According to Celebrity, "Millennium departed Valparaiso, Chile, on March 19, on a 14-night sailing that is scheduled to conclude in Fort Lauderdale on April 2. Today's accident occurred on the fourth day of the cruise and the ship will remain in Arica, Chile, until further notice."

In speaking to Celebrity, they indicated that they will not know if the April 2 (or any other scheduled cruises) will be impacted by this schedule change. They hope to know something more by the middle of next week. There is a really good chance future voyages will not be impacted if this voyage skips scheduled ports in an effort to return on time. Clearly passengers on any affected voyage would normally be compensated.

Hopefully this won't cause too much stress for folks scheduled on the next voyage --- April 2 out of Ft. Lauderdale. Celebrity is generally pretty good about notifying affected passengers of any options they may have in relation to a scheduled departure change or cancelled voyage --- if indeed this occurs.

First, our sympathy and condolences go out to the families of the passengers involved in the accident.

How will this impact upcoming cruises?

According to Celebrity, "Millennium departed Valparaiso, Chile, on March 19, on a 14-night sailing that is scheduled to conclude in Fort Lauderdale on April 2. Today's accident occurred on the fourth day of the cruise and the ship will remain in Arica, Chile, until further notice. The ship was carrying approximately 1,536 guests and 920 crew members."

In speaking to Celebrity, they indicated that they will not know if the April 2 (or any other scheduled cruises) will be impacted by this schedule change. They hope to know something more by the middle of next week.

Hopefully this won't cause too much stress for folks scheduled on the next voyage.

During the news conference they said the ship was leaving at approximately 9:00 local time. If you view the bridge cam of the ship it appears she is at sea at this time.

Interesting. That should be welcome news for most folks.

Strange that the newswires as of 10:10 this a.m. were reporting that the ship was scheduled to depart for Peru at 9am, but reiterated that Celebrity said "the ship will remain there until further notice."

Hopefully any potential schedule disruption is now behind them. Sorry to have voiced the concern.

I think it is a very valid concern. I know this may be callous but there will be people who will be complaining if the Mille has to miss a port because of the delay. I come from the show must go on school of thinking and would want my passing to be disruptive to the least amount of people no matter how tragic the circumstances of my demise. I guess I wouldn't want to be rude to others. Sorry if others find that harsh but that is just how we think.

I was thinking the same thing last night and I'm scheduled THREE MONTHS from now. It's an unspeakable tragedy, but yes, the thought did come to mind that my cruise might be affected.

Since the ship has left port despite the on-going investigation, I would say we're all probably in the clear, but I will be calling Celebrity when the dust settles just to make sure.

Dileep,

Well we spent the night in Arica. Finally left this morning after 15 hour delay. Ships doctor and a nurse along with concierge stayed in Arica to assist the two passengers injured and the family and friends of those 12 that were killed. The driver apparently swerved to avoid a truck coming around a curve and went off an embankment and down about 300 feet. The driver and guide survived but were also injured. We are at full speed heading for Callao now. I’m wondering if we will be able to make up enough time to continue or planned schedule. Just got a report which said we will arrive at 11:00 AM which is about 4 hrs later than scheduled. Tours will be adjusted. We are having smooth seas at present and looking the window it looks like we are on a speed boat.

I think Celebrity has done as good a job as they could. The group was on a privately made tour arrangement, and I understand were part of a 60 person Jewish group aboard.

Archived