St. Andrews from Lighthouse Hawes Pier in Edinburgh

Hey Folks

We are cruising to Europe with NCL this summer and I was wondering if anyone had any insights on a short tour to St. Andrews from the Edinburgh area. I found one from Rabbies but it is a 9 hour tour that would not fit the schedule of our port visit (have spoken with Rabbies).

I'm really just looking to get to St. Andrews, spend an hour and then head back.

Would the bus be my best bet?

3 hours ago, jvermast said:

Hey Folks

We are cruising to Europe with NCL this summer and I was wondering if anyone had any insights on a short tour to St. Andrews from the Edinburgh area. I found one from Rabbies but it is a 9 hour tour that would not fit the schedule of our port visit (have spoken with Rabbies).

I'm really just looking to get to St. Andrews, spend an hour and then head back.

The the Edinburgh to St Andrews bus stops at the South end of the Forth Road Bridge, and your easiest way to get there would be a taxi from Hawes Pier.  Get a contact number from the taxi driver to arrange your return pickup.

The alternative public transport option is the train from Dalmeny Station, about a 10 minute uphill walk from Hawes Pier.  There is a same-platform change in Inverkeithing, and you get off in Leuchars.  From there it's a short taxi or a local bus to St Andrews.

A private hire car would be in the region of £375, including waiting for you in St Andrews.  You could aske them to go via the East Fife fishing villages in one of the directions for some further sightseeing.

On the day, speak to the CruiseForth volunteers (https://www.cruiseforth.com/content/about/) who will be on or at the end of the pier, dressed in purple jackets & shirts.

Just know the bus from Edinburgh to St Andrews stops at every wee village and town on the road and takes 2 hours, which is double the usual driving times. My daughter is at uni there and takes the bus because she gets it for free (under 22). It would be a bit shorter for you getting on near Forth Road Bridge but it is really a slow route. So that’s around 3 and a half hours travelling for you with just a few hours in St Andrews. The train is quicker and the local buses from Leuchers go every 15 mins. Leuchers is just a few miles outside of St Andrews. 

Shame about Rabbies schedule - that wa my go to suggestion as I often see their tours when I am up in St Andrews.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jvermast said:

I found one from Rabbies but it is a 9 hour tour that would not fit the schedule of our port visit (have spoken with Rabbies).

An off the wall thought ... could you take the Rabbies tour but leave it when in St Andrews, getting the train back to Dalmeny Station?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2024 at 5:25 PM, Thejuggler said:

I am assuming you have very good reason to need to visit St Andrews because it’s not a place I'd break my neck to get to for an hour.

Maybe someone who wants to see the Old Course.

On 2/29/2024 at 2:06 PM, jvermast said:

Hey Folks

A custom tour may work to your hours in port - I've taken a 6 hour tour to St Andrews before (its around 1.5 hrs drive each way so that was 3 hours free to have lunch and take the Old Course walking tour. My wife visited the cathedral instead!) We used Callum at Anderson Scottish Tours and this was from New haven (but they should pick up at any Edinburg tender port.)