Do Disasters Come in Threes?

C 2 C

In the past I always worry when I hear about a plane crash because I fear that another one wil follow soon after. Now there is not one nor two but three sailing related incidents resulting in deaths.

1. The BC ferry "Queen of the North" sinking with two passengers msiing and presumed dead.

2. The fire on the Star Princess which resulted in 150 cabins burned and fortunately (except for the family involved) only one fatality (heart attack).

3 The 12 Millennium passengers who died when their tour bus rolled down a cliff.

It is horrible when any mishap occurs on a ship on which we may have sailed and then are forced to think... that might have been us..

Of the millions of passengers that have sailed only with joy and minor irritants, there are some that meet tragedy through no fault of their own. I think all of us grieve for the families involved.

We're so callous about Africa in this country that there was little notice of a ship that sank off the coast of Africa, with a loss of more than 200 lives. This was just a terrible day for the maritime industry, and for the people who sail on the ships.

We're so callous about Africa in this country that there was little notice of a ship that sank off the coast of Africa,

I agree. I did not even find this news until after I posted. Years ago a TA told me he feared all ferries... there was always one sinking somewhere. Every year thousands die in third world countires when a ferry sinks. Few westerners place an equal value on deaths of non-westerners..

We are only "shocked" if they happen in countires with modern ships as in the Baltic and North Sea several years back.

C2C: I was talking to my fellow cruise travellers about this very thing yesterday. Then there was the report of the ship down off the coast of Africa.

Definitely not a very good week for the martime industry. My thoughts and prayers are with those that lost their loved ones in this week's tragedies.

Archived