One day resort in Puerto Vallarta , Cabo and Mazaltan

belluskin

My mom is going on 7 days cruise  to Mexico  on Crawn Princess with her friends, they are all in their 80, any safe resort for a day for them to explore on the stop in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán, Cabo ? is it safe just to take a taxi to a beach? if yes, any recommendations?  any advice will help, thank you so much

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, belluskin said:

My mom is going on 7 days cruise  to Mexico  on Crawn Princess with her friends, they are all in their 80, any safe resort for a day for them to explore on the stop in Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlán, Cabo ? is it safe just to take a taxi to a beach? if yes, any recommendations?  any advice will help, thank you so much

Have any of the ladies been to these ports before? How independent and mobile are they? 

If they are new to these ports or have any health or mobility issues, I would encourage them to consider a Princess excursion. There are many options they might enjoy, including an excursion to a nice beach resort with a day pass in each port.  

Normally I encourage people to consider private tours as alternatives to cruise ship tours, but in the case of a group of ladies of their awesome age traveling in Mexico, if it were my Mom, I would feel safer and more secure with a ship tour. And shore excursions in Mexico tend to be more reasonably priced. 

We have been to these Mexican Riviera ports many times and if you stick to tourist areas and attractions, they are not inherently dangerous and have much to offer. However, they can feel a bit overwhelming to the uninitiated and there are some pitfalls you need to avoid. 

They should be able to enjoy their port days worry free - the best way to do that would be on a safe, well managed and vetted Princess tour. 

Edited by karatemom2

47 minutes ago, belluskin said:

As previous poster said eluded to it's probably best to do a princess excursion.  I think resortpass.com offers some good single day resort use options as well and they may or may not offer transport.

I will say my wife and I just did Mexican Riviera for the first time just about a year ago and we went in with our usual Caribbean attitude of "take us to a beach and we'll be happy", and just did not find the beaches as "user friendly" as the Caribbean in general.  This is due to our own lack of experience and knowledge, but I wouldn't just cab to a beach if I had to do it again.  Beaches were rocky, water was cold...if you weren't part of a hotel/resort there wasn't really any option for chairs, umbrellas, etc.  We had a small sample size and it was our first try so it can probably go better but it was definitely a swing and a miss for us.  I'd definitely find an excursion where they take you some place designed to accommodate people looking for a beach day.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, karatemom2 said:

Have any of the ladies been to these ports before? How independent and mobile are they? 

If they are new to these ports or have any health or mobility issues, I would encourage them to consider a Princess excursion. There are many options they might enjoy, including an excursion to a nice beach resort with a day pass in each port.  

Normally I encourage people to consider private tours as alternatives to cruise ship tours, but in the case of a group of ladies of their awesome age traveling in Mexico, if it were my Mom, I would feel safer and more secure with a ship tour. And shore excursions in Mexico tend to be more reasonably priced. 

We have been to these Mexican Riviera ports many times and if you stick to tourist areas and attractions, they are not inherently dangerous and have much to offer. However, they can feel a bit overwhelming to the uninitiated and there are some pitfalls you need to avoid. 

They should be able to enjoy their port days worry free - the best way to do that would be on a safe, well managed and vetted Princess tour. 

thank you so much, they have no mobility issues, unfortunately cruise excursions sold out, they thinking is it safe just to take a taxi and go to the beach? which one?

8 hours ago, no1racefan1 said:

We went to the Hyatt Ziva for the day in Puerto Vallarta. Loved it so much we're planning to take a land trip there one day. It was booked through the ship (Carnival).

We have been to Hyatt ziva, i will try to find out how much do they charge for one day, thank you so so much, great advise.

8 hours ago, PMGS247 said:

As previous poster said eluded to it's probably best to do a princess excursion.  I think resortpass.com offers some good single day resort use options as well and they may or may not offer transport.

I will say my wife and I just did Mexican Riviera for the first time just about a year ago and we went in with our usual Caribbean attitude of "take us to a beach and we'll be happy", and just did not find the beaches as "user friendly" as the Caribbean in general.  This is due to our own lack of experience and knowledge, but I wouldn't just cab to a beach if I had to do it again.  Beaches were rocky, water was cold...if you weren't part of a hotel/resort there wasn't really any option for chairs, umbrellas, etc.  We had a small sample size and it was our first try so it can probably go better but it was definitely a swing and a miss for us.  I'd definitely find an excursion where they take you some place designed to accommodate people looking for a beach day.

thank you so much, I was not sure how reputable resort pass. com, yes, huge difference between Caribbean and Puerta Vallarta coast.. Unfortunately all excursions sold out, their plan was " take us to the beach" until I started worrying how safe was  it...

11 hours ago, belluskin said:

thank you so much, I was not sure how reputable resort pass. com, yes, huge difference between Caribbean and Puerta Vallarta coast.. Unfortunately all excursions sold out, their plan was " take us to the beach" until I started worrying how safe was  it...

Yeah I've only got one experience with it, used it to book a beach bed for a day in Fort Lauderdale to kill time after a cruise before an evening flight.  worked perfectly.

Stone Island in Mazatlan is a great choice for a do-it-yourself excursion.  There is a water taxi right next to the cruise terminal that they would take.  It is a 3-5 minute water taxi ride then they can either walk down the beach or take a Pulmonia (Mazatlan's version of an open air taxi) to a specific location.  Our favorite is Lety's.  They will set you up with loungers,  umbrellas at no charge (just the cost of your food & beverages)  The ocean there is very mild so it's the best place to swim in the ocean.  We go to Mazatlan almost every year and Stone Island and Lety's is always on the agenda for us.