Transportation to Pompeii

cynbar

We have booked a private tour of Pompeii for our June cruise on Sun Princess, but it doesn't include transportation. What are our options for getting there from the ship's pier in Naples? Taxi, Uber, public transit? Easy to navigate is preferred. We will be 3 adults and a 9 year old. Thanks in advance for any leads.

I think the public SITA bus is the easiest and most comfortable budget option.  Of course a car service is the easiest, but also the most expensive.

The bus depot, Varco Immacolatella, is about four-tenths of a mile on foot from the cruise port, within the port area.  There is a ticket office right there, so getting tickets is easy.

The bus drop off in Pompei is on Vio Plinio, you'll know it because it's the first stop after the bus leaves the autostrada and returns to surface roads.  The stop is right in front of a place called Camping Spartacus, it's easy to find on a google map.  From the stop to the main (Porta Marina) entrance to the ruins is a short walk of about two-tenths of a mile.  The stop for the bus returning to Naples is directly across the street.

Buses run every day except Sunday.  There is a departure Monday-Saturday at 8:00 that arrives at 8:35, well before opening time of 9:00.

The fare is 3,30 euro each way and you can purchase both outbound and return tickets in the morning at the depot.

To see the depot on a google map look at these coordinates:  40°50'30.0"N 14°15'28.3"E

Bus schedule here:  0 (sitasudtrasporti.it)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

we did it by train.    last time was about 10 yrs ago and it was a bit of walk to the train station but the train stopped near the entrance of pompeii.    got our tour at the gate spent several hours then took the train to sorrento.   had a late lunch in sorrento and walked to the bottom (ocean) and took the ferry back to Naples.   It was a great day.  

I understand that now there may be a new train station closer to the port which would make it even easier.

Posted (edited)

No, there is no new train station near the port.  There is a new entrance to the Municipio/Porto metro station, which you can take to Napoli Centrale.

For many people the train is an easier option because the stations are known and fixed, no need to guess if you're getting off at the right place, as you sometimes do with a bus in an unfamiliar place.  I completely understand that, but in this case the stop is easy to identify because, as I said, it's the first one after leaving the autostrada, there's a big sign that says "Camping Spartacus", and because if you tell the driver where you're headed he'll shout out the stop (in my experience, anyway).

Edited by euro cruiser

The bus sounds like a good option for us as we are planning the same trip during our cruise in June. How do we locate/identify the ticket office?

On 3/7/2024 at 6:46 PM, euro cruiser said:

To see the depot on a google map look at these coordinates:  40°50'30.0"N 14°15'28.3"E

Bus schedule here:  0 (sitasudtrasporti.it)

From my earlier post.

The depot is a two-story brick building with a blue sign over the door that says "biglietteria - deposito bagagli - sala attesa

On 3/8/2024 at 10:05 AM, euro cruiser said:

No, there is no new train station near the port.  There is a new entrance to the Municipio/Porto metro station, which you can take to Napoli Centrale.

Thanks for the clarification.