Bus from South Queensferry to Edinburgh

15 minutes ago, kazganymede said:

we have mobility issues and find it difficult to walk uphill

In that case, and as Edinburgh is hilly, you would need to plan your visit carefully to take account of your abilities.

6 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Sorry, no buses or trams go to the castle so only a taxi would take you close to but not onto the castle esplanade. You could take the bus for its full run  and take a taxi from the x99 terminus in the city centre.

Thanks for your quick response. Edinburgh has so much to see with so little time! Maybe we should book a panorama tour or HOHO.

10 minutes ago, kazganymede said:

Some interesting information here!

From what I can see with the bus routes, there is no bus which goes from the port of Queensferry directly to Edinburgh castle. 

We have mobility issues and find it difficult to walk uphill, although walking on flat surfaces is OK.

Is there any form of transport which goes from the port to the castle, or do we have to catch a taxi?

The steepest bit of uphill walking is The Mound, and you could catch a 9, 23 or 27 bus (using the Network DAYticket you got for the X99) from the stop at the bottom to the next stop, which is just past the top.  But you'll still have some walking to do, and some of that is (more gently) uphill, so this option may not be suitable.

A taxi all the way is clearly an option, but in your circumstances, I'd take the X99 into town and then hail a taxi to get as close to the Castle entry queue as possible.  If you're OK downhill, then the return should be straightforward, otherwise get a taxi from at or near the Castle back to the X99.

Once you're in the Castle, be sure to take advantage of the transport that can take you up to the high-point in the Castle - see under "Visiting the site" on this page:  https://www.edinburghcastle.scot/plan-your-visit/access-guide#p2007  Without this, it sounds like you would have considerable difficulty.

2 minutes ago, kazganymede said:

Thanks for your quick response. Edinburgh has so much to see with so little time! Maybe we should book a panorama tour or HOHO.

The HOHO is very good, and the main start/stop point is about a 7 minute walk from the X99 drop-off.  It has a stop a little closer to the Castle than the city bus stop at the top of The Mound, but still most of that more gentle uphill walk has to be done.  Only a taxi could get you all the way to the Castle entrance point (if a passenger has difficulty walking, they are allowed through an otherwise closed road and can take you right onto the Esplanade).

4 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

The HOHO is very good, and the main start/stop point is about a 7 minute walk from the X99 drop-off.  It has a stop a little closer to the Castle than the city bus stop at the top of The Mound, but still most of that more gentle uphill walk has to be done.  Only a taxi could get you all the way to the Castle entrance point (if a passenger has difficulty walking, they are allowed through an otherwise closed road and can take you right onto the Esplanade).

Thanks fruitmachine, great info!  Before looking at the logistics of transport, I was thinking about taking a taxi from the port to Midhope castle for a short stop and then continue towards the castle. From there we'd walk the Golden Mile, stopping at the Whiskey experience and doing an underground tour. Afterwards we'd return to the ship by the X99. Perhaps this is too ambitious.

9 hours ago, kazganymede said:

Thanks fruitmachine, great info!  Before looking at the logistics of transport, I was thinking about taking a taxi from the port to Midhope castle for a short stop and then continue towards the castle. From there we'd walk the Golden Mile, stopping at the Whiskey experience and doing an underground tour. Afterwards we'd return to the ship by the X99. Perhaps this is too ambitious.

I've never been myself, but looking on Google Street View, going to Midhope involves passing  a "Private Road - No Entry" sign on the Hopeton Estate.  Their web page indicates that you must park and walk the last bit.  https://hopetoun.co.uk/house-and-grounds/visit-the-house-and-grounds/outlander-at-hopetoun/  That page also says you must have a ticket (I assume to Hopetoun House itself) to access Midhope.  As Midhope Castle is in the opposite direction to Edinburgh, you're going to more than double the distance for a taxi, and then add any waiting time charge. image.png.f1ae88506755ef4506ea769cc1e7ba06.png

The rest of your plan is perfectly doable.  Once you've visited Edinburgh Castle, everything is downhill! 

The Scotch Whisky Experience is right at the top of The Royal Mile, just below the Castle. 

Mary King's Close is only a little walk further down, opposite St Giles Cathedral (which is free and also worth a visit, especially to the Thistle Chapel).  Because of your mobility issues, and the fact that it is underground, check their access guide here: https://www.realmarykingsclose.com/plan-your-visit/access-for-all/

25 minutes ago, fruitmachine said:

I've never been myself, but looking on Google Street View, going to Midhope involves passing  a "Private Road - No Entry" sign on the Hopeton Estate.  Their web page indicates that you must park and walk the last bit.  https://hopetoun.co.uk/house-and-grounds/visit-the-house-and-grounds/outlander-at-hopetoun/  That page also says you must have a ticket (I assume to Hopetoun House itself) to access Midhope.  As Midhope Castle is in the opposite direction to Edinburgh, you're going to more than double the distance for a taxi, and then add any waiting time charge. image.png.f1ae88506755ef4506ea769cc1e7ba06.png

The rest of your plan is perfectly doable.  Once you've visited Edinburgh Castle, everything is downhill! 

The Scotch Whisky Experience is right at the top of The Royal Mile, just below the Castle. 

Mary King's Close is only a little walk further down, opposite St Giles Cathedral (which is free and also worth a visit, especially to the Thistle Chapel).  Because of your mobility issues, and the fact that it is underground, check their access guide here: https://www.realmarykingsclose.com/plan-your-visit/access-for-all/

Thanks Fruitmachine for those links. I think we could manage the underground steps.  From what you said, I now think we'll go into Edinburgh by the X22 and do the other activities before returning to the port from where we can do the Midhope castle later in the day.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, kazganymede said:

returning to the port from where we can do the Midhope castle later in the day.

Can I suggest that before planning the Midhope visit, you have a look at the reviews and images of it on Tripadvisor as there really is not a great deal to see there, but reading  reviews and looking at the images will help you decide if it would be worth it to you.

There are a small number of Outlander filming locations in the city itself and a  quick google should find them. Bakehouse Close (featured in several scenes but worth visiting in its own right)and Tweeddale Court are near each other on the Royal Mile, but there is also Craigmillar Castle within the city but not central and again uphill.  You would need a taxi for this one.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, kazganymede said:

find it difficult to walk uphill, although walking on flat surfaces is OK.

How are you on stairs?  I ask because you mentioned a possible "underground" tour and although there are several, they all involve stairs as they are below street level. And the underground tours are dimly lit.

Mary King's Close is one of the better ones and you should read their accessibility information to help you decide whether an underground tour would be suitable for you.

Edited by edinburgher
  • Like 1