Tips/Rules for safety ect. of 12 year olds?

HI, We are taking our twins sons on the Mariner in May along with my parents. They will be 12 in June and this is there first cruise! They are staying in and inside cabin right acroos from my Husband and I, and my parents are toward the bow on the same deck. We have walkie talkies. But what rules do you set for your kids??? What should I be concerned about?? My father is worried that they are going to fall overboard :( , he tends to worry more than the rest of us!! What if they need us at night, ect? Thanks so much! Its been over 12 years since our last cruise and this board has been a really big help!!! :D

First off, remind them to respect other passengers onboard the ship...which means no yelling, screaming, hitting against the walls of their room or running through the halls.

Next...the sides around the ship are high. It would be hard to accidently fall over. You'd have to climb up onto something. I don't think that would be an issue.

Other safety issues would be the same as at any hotel or resort and are pretty much common sense.

One piece of advice, make sure they do not use the internet. Otherwise at the end of the cruise you will end up with a big, unwanted bill.

I agree that unsupervised kids on a trip can be a real problem....we once had a suite next door to a room full of 5 kids with NO PARENTS to be found. (They called the room each night at midnight and when the kids didn't answer, let the phone ring non-stop). HOWEVER, if the parents are across the hall and staying in touch, most ships will not enforce the rule about an adult staying in their room.

Set up expectations. Only you know your kids (hopefully). Remind them that other passengers are trying to enjoy their own trips.

12 year olds will not fall overboard.

The kids club has been a salvation on each of the trips where we've taken our own kids. Your boys will probably hook up with some other kids.

Tell your Dad not to worry so much as you will be supervising the boys.

Keep the tips coming, I really apprecate it. I can understand how kids can get out of control and by know means are my boys angels but they do know how to conduct themselves in public, ect. But most of all we are not the kind of parents that would stand for any BS from them and they know it. I might take some flack for this, but you can't blame the kids its the parents.

Keep the tips coming, I really apprecate it. I can understand how kids can get out of control and by know means are my boys angels but they do know how to conduct themselves in public, ect. But most of all we are not the kind of parents that would stand for any BS from them and they know it. I might take some flack for this, but you can't blame the kids its the parents.

LOL, that pretty much makes me think that there's no way you need to worry too much about your boys. Never mind other people, what would Mom and Dad say?

12 is that tricky age where they are too old for the younger kids group ("we don't want to be with the BABIES!" and too young for the teens. Nevertheless, I insisted my 13 year old at least sign up with the kids club on the first day. I didn't insist she hang there. Sometimes they find enough similarly aged kids to hang with, and the kids group always has several periods in the pool, which is more fun for them if there are at least two or three others. We have never done the walkie talkie bit, but with twins, they might really like it, and then you can require periodic check-ins.

12 is that tricky age where they are too old for the younger kids group ("we don't want to be with the BABIES!" and too young for the teens. .

What I usually tell parents worried about the age groups (mostly because the kids express exactly what you wrote, but in some cases it's the parents) is that, within each age group, there will be kids on the younger side (just made it in) and kids who are almost old enough for the next group. The kids tend to find somebody their own age to hang out with and everyone is happy.;) And, I do agree that all parents should make their kids attend the orientation for their group. They won't know if they'll like it unless they try it. We have only sailed on Carnival with the kids (teen boys) and they loved the kids and teen clubs; I suppose RCCL's program is similar in that it is "pick and choose"------they only need to go when there's something that they are interested in; and, it's a great place to make friends for the week.

A couple more rules: don't go into anyone's cabin or bring anyone to your cabin (be specific........my younger son brought kids to our cabin because I only stated the first rule :rolleyes: ); go over their curfew daily (realize it may change throughout the cruise, depending on if you have an early excursion planned for the next day or if there is a late night kids club activity they are participating in).

Tips: Give them a $10 in dollar bills to keep in their room in case they want to order room service (let them know to tip $1-$2). I don't know how RCCL handles kids charging priveledges. On Carnival, parents are asked if they want their kids sail and sign card activated. I've never activated my kids cards because there's really nothing they need to buy on the ship. I buy them each a soda card and a t-shirt. They really don't hang out in the arcade, but always bring a little money from home just in case they want to play a game (too much going on around the ship anyway).

On our first cruise, my kids were 11 and 13, and they always had kids club activities planned until 10pm. At that time, we would meet on deck, go get a snack (pizza or ice cream) and then, if nothing else family oriented was happening, we'd all retire to our room.

Archived