2 Questions - Water Bags & FAS Tips

My wife and I are leaving Saturday on the Joy.  We have just the basic FAS w/ the beverage package.  When you accept that you prepay your beverage package tips.  Does that money go to the bartenders who are serving you?  Do you still get a slip to sign when you order drinks and do people tip in addition to that?  Or, do you just scan your card and go on your way.  Not looking to start another tipping thread of people arguing about it, but I'm just curious how it works.

Second question is about snorkeling. If heading out out on our own, like at West Bay in Honduras, what do you do w/ your stuff when you're snorkeling?  I'm thinking we'll have shoes, wallets, phones, etc..  I can't imagine just leaving that stuff up on the beach.  I was thinking of maybe getting a wet bag/backpack to keep everything in while snorkeling.  It could keep my from diving when snorkeling but my wife basically stays at the top, if she tethers it, I guess it wouldn't be much trouble.  And we could switch back and forth. Anyone have any experience with that?  Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YT12WDT/?tag=outsidview-20&th=1

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, love4god said:

Does that money go to the bartenders who are serving you?

That's between NCL and the bartenders.

Do you still get a slip to sign when you order drinks and do people tip in addition to that?

Most of the time, nothing to sign. If (for ex) you are still in/near port and are charged state tax, you might get a slip to sign that shows how much tax was charged to your account. With or without a slip, you can always tip cash if you choose to do so. 

Or, do you just scan your card and go on your way.

You can, if that's what you want to do. Probably more than half do not tip and just scan/walk away. 

Not looking to start another tipping thread of people arguing about it, but I'm just curious how it works.

No way to avoid arguing....It's Cruise Critic. 😉

Edited by Two Wheels Only

23 minutes ago, love4god said:

My wife and I are leaving Saturday on the Joy.  We have just the basic FAS w/ the beverage package.  When you accept that you prepay your beverage package tips.  Does that money go to the bartenders who are serving you?  Do you still get a slip to sign when you order drinks and do people tip in addition to that?  Or, do you just scan your card and go on your way.  Not looking to start another tipping thread of people arguing about it, but I'm just curious how it works.

Second question is about snorkeling. If heading out out on our own, like at West Bay in Honduras, what do you do w/ your stuff when you're snorkeling?  I'm thinking we'll have shoes, wallets, phones, etc..  I can't imagine just leaving that stuff up on the beach.  I was thinking of maybe getting a wet bag/backpack to keep everything in while snorkeling.  It could keep my from diving when snorkeling but my wife basically stays at the top, if she tethers it, I guess it wouldn't be much trouble.  And we could switch back and forth. Anyone have any experience with that?  Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YT12WDT/?tag=outsidview-20&th=1

Unless you have a  "balance due" (i.e., you exceed $15 - which is very hard to do with standard drinks), they scan your card and go. If you want to leave additional tip (we do), throw a buck or two on the bar. 

If you are out and about, the only thing you should be carrying is your ship card, an ID, some cash for taxi and misc expense and if you really want to buy stuff a credit card in a zip lock bag. I have no problem leaving that on the beach while we're out snorkeling. 

16 minutes ago, MagnoliaBlossom said:

On our last voyage, two bartenders said they do not get a portion of the FAS gratuities, just the bar wait staff.

Either you misunderstood them or they are working you for additional tips.

Once you prepay your FAS tips you are not expected or required to leave additional tips.  Next to politics and religion,  tipping etiquette discussion on cruise ships is probably the most polarizing topic of discussion I can think of.

Do what you want.  Just realize you are under no obligation to tip in addition to the 20% FAS tips that have been set aside courtesy of NCL.

If you are worried about bartenders getting their share of what you have contributed via 20% prepaid FAS tips, like @Two Wheels Only posted that is between NCL and the bartenders.  

On a seven day cruise a cabin of two is already paying about $300 in drink tips.  There are some that will say part of that is the incremental cost of the drinks themselves.  However, if you opt out of the drink package portion of the FAS you will eliminate the tips but NCL will not give you a discount on your cruise.

To OP in summary, do what you want.  You have already done your part by paying the 20% prepaid drink tips.  If a fair portion of that does not reach pockets of bartenders then that is on NCL.  If they decide to funnel that money somewhere else shame on them not on you.  Enjoy your cruise.

• Like 3

For snorkeling, we took a chance with our shoes and towels from the ship and left them on the beach with no problems. I also left my shorts and shirt. This was in Mexico. We purchased waterproof fanny packs that easily held our small amount of cash, phone, ship card and credit card. We figured if someone stole our clothes we'd be fine, and the towels aren't ours to begin with. 

Mo one other than NCL and the employees know for a fact how any of the revenue generated by NCL is distrubited.  There is a lot of conjecturebut it goils down to we do not know.  As fae as leaving a tip per drink at time of service, some do, some dont.  It is a matter of personal preference.  The best answer is to tip anyone you want, any time you want, any amount you want.  Have a great cruise.

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, BandAgain said:

Another question...if you order a drink over $15, are you charged for the full price of the drink or simply the difference between $15 & the cost of the higher priced drink?

The difference between, plus 20%. So, a $18.00 drink would cost $3.60 extra.

Edited by ggTexasGal
correction made
  • Like 1