Status of Isafjordur port for large cruise ships?

Does anyone know of the status of the port construction at the Isafjordur port?  The Norwegian Prima is scheduled to call at port on May 21.  The last progress I heard was sometime in January when apparently more dredging was needed to accommodate larger ships like the Prima.  Thanks!

On 3/17/2024 at 11:06 PM, Levanah said:

The last progress I heard was sometime in January when apparently more dredging was needed to accommodate larger ships like the Prima.

The CC member who posted that information had obtained it in response to an e-mail enquiry sent to the local Tourist Information Office so you might want to try that.😀

Edinburgher, thank you! I’ve been thinking of emailing the office and will do so.  By the way, we LOVE Edinburgh and have visited three times.  Our last visit to Scotland (which included time in the Orkneys) ended with a very memorable Sunday roast in Newtown not far from where the ship was docked.  My own heritage is a mix of Scots/Welsh/English and I am always drawn to visit the UK.  Take care…

4 hours ago, Levanah said:

Edinburgher, thank you! I’ve been thinking of emailing the office and will do so.  By the way, we LOVE Edinburgh and have visited three times.  Our last visit to Scotland (which included time in the Orkneys) ended with a very memorable Sunday roast in Newtown not far from where the ship was docked.  My own heritage is a mix of Scots/Welsh/English and I am always drawn to visit the UK.  Take care…

An interesting heritage combo, only lacking some Irish heritage  for the full set!😁.

Thanks for your complementary words about Edinburgh. It is always lovely to read that some folks return for further visits as a single port day barely scratches the sightseeing options, and of course there are many other lovely places to visit in Scotland, including Orkney.

I have received a prompt reply from the westfjords tourism office.   The dredging project is not yet finished but the authorities apparently have promised that it will be finished for the upcoming cruise season.  My contact says it does look “very promising”.  While nothing is certain yet, this is the best news I’ve seen in awhile for this port.  Fingers crossed!

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, Levanah said:

I have not heard any updates and am eager to know since we depart on the Prima 12 May.  I expect the first news may come from the current Prima sailing now headed to Iceland.

The current Prima sailing is a transatlantic cruise and unfortunately Reykjavik is their only port in Iceland. I've been following the live thread on the sailing. I have my fingers crossed that your May 12th sailing and our June 2nd sailing will be able to dock in Isafjordur. Enjoy your cruise and please give us an update.

Mary, in addition to Reykjavik (and Isafjordur), we are also scheduled to port in Akureyri.  I sure hope the Akureyri stop happens since Isafjordur seems doubtful!  Whatever happens, we WILL enjoy our cruise.  Fingers crossed for all of us. 

I haven't heard of any issues with Akureyi, from what I saw the two ports most cancelled were Isafjordor and Bruges last year.  I looked at TA hoping it'd give clue but as mentioned not going so will have to wait for the first sailing which think is your Levanah.  Fingers crossed it works out for all of us.

• Like 1